Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

We are so grateful for that large Silver Birch in our garden, lovely bit of shade and it seems to catch a bit of breeze too.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes the shade from trees is very welcome in heatwaves like this but I do find myself wondering how many gallons of moisture they remove from the soil on a daily basis. Their water consumption must be huge.

We find the tall shrubs growing on the other side of our 6 foot shared neighbour's fence positively suck up all the water we pour onto the climbing beans and tomatoes on our side. The more we water our vegetables, the higher these darned competitors grow!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I get my own back on the birch, in the Spring I have tapped out some of the rising sap as a tonic, it tastes rather "woody" though.
peter
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Yes the shade from trees is very welcome in heatwaves like this but I do find myself wondering how many gallons of moisture they remove from the soil on a daily basis. Their water consumption must be huge.
!

Not sure which tv programme it was but I have a vague memory of an oak in its prime being cut off at ground level, while suspended from a crane and the cut end being swiftly swung round and lowered into a large tank of water with a measuring tube (or was the tank transparent?)
They then noted the level and recorded it over time, annoyed I can't recall what the gallons per hour or day worked out at.

Now was it David Bellamy or Magnus Pike?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

I am officially cooked after my early morning wander down to water. It usually stays under 18C until about 11am & then you get further respite from the sea breeze. No sea breeze to save me today as it was very still. I packed up before 10am as I was sweating buckets, but just had to do a harvest as so much ready. Biggest mistake was catching the bus back rather than walking as the bags were a bit heavy - I got stuck to the plastic bus seat. Haven't experienced that for a long time & it was a bit painful. Brought my school days back in OZ to mind where we would hitch our skirts up & sit on the plastic seats as a dare!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Really windy today, I don't like strong winds in the growing season, so much gets damaged by it, at least it's cooler though.
Westi
KG Regular

The Met office has given nearly all of the south of England an Amber heat warning for the weekend & Monday; Monday being the highest temp. Looking at my phone weather the whole of next week is mid to high 20's but fortunately accompanied by cloud & a breeze.

I appreciate I'm lucky being close to the coast & generally having a breeze most days, but my friends further inland it looks like midnight watering for you! I have had heat stroke & it is quite weird & disorientating; funnily here & not in OZ as it is a dry heat out there without the humidity! Yep you sweat a bit but at least your sweat cools you.

Stay safe everyone - what are your hints & tips for staying cool both indoors & in the garden/plot? Think we might need proper practical advice if this could be the norm in the future. I know the government will advise but probably too generic.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

As far as gardening goes, I avoid doing anything outside between the hours of 11.00 am to around 3.00 pm, find some shade and chill during those "mad dogs" part of the day. I do my watering just after tea at around 6.00 pm seems to work for me, sun hat and sun glasses are a good idea along with some factor 50 sun cream and drink lots of water.
Monika
KG Regular

We keep the windows wide open and the curtains shut on the sunny side, then, as the sun moves round, do the same on the other side of the house. At least, there is a good SW breeze today.

Do you think it's time for Midsummer Bits and Bobs, OH? It certainly feels like it ........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Your wish, is my command, Monika…..consider it done. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just been adopted by a fox. Like me he has one foot in the grave. Cant seeing him lasting the next winter. Have called him Freddie, He is getting very partial to tinned dog food. Have wormed him, wish I could delouse him. Does a lot of sunbathing at the moment. Problem will arise in a couple of weeks time when the daughters Jack Russell stays with me for a week. :roll:
Last edited by Shallot Man on Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Times are a-changing. Had a leaflet through the door from the Royal Mail. Saying they now deliver NHS prescriptions. :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What could possibly go wrong…. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic