THE BIG DIG

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Oh come on guys - at least they have re-scheduled it for us, which is what we all wanted.
Live or recorded - can't please everyone all of the time - just some of us some of the time.

Beryl.
Compo
KG Regular

Sugar!!

I blooming well forgot....does anyone have a tape? I'll pay for the postage, just looked on the bbci website and it looks like you cant watch again like u can on gardener's world
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Tigger
KG Regular

Well - I've just watched it and it was good, as per people and comments, but why would anyone want all that wriggly tin/corrugated iron?, or sheds made of left over windows and doors??? That's not my idea of gardening.
Chantal
KG Regular

The widely held opinion is that people who have allotments are also cheap and will not spend money on anything that can be found in a skip and made into something else. This is one of the reason that sheds are banned on our site; our chairman says it'll look like Soweto in no time!

I was regarded as something of an oddity when I paid someone I know to remove all the old tatty bits of corrugated iron and the mass of weeds that ran across the back of my plots and replace it with a more substantial fence (which I already had). To me it's been money well spent (£100 for 3 days work which was cheap)as it looks good, keeps the bunnies at bay and doesn't need fixing again every 2 weeks.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Geoff
KG Regular

Philosophy for life and gardening - do it once, do it right!
I'm a gardener not an allotment holder so I am able to love my concrete paths, solid fruit cage, breeze block compost bins etc.
But the programme is still fun despite its irritating production style of repeating everything three times - I think they went to the Channel 4 school of documentary writing with three lots af adverts and a reprise after each.
lizzie
KG Regular

Where I am the lads can knock anything up out of a few pallets and a couple of nails.

My greenhouse is made out of someones old windows and frames and pallets. For an 8' x 14' greenhouse it cost me £40 for the main uprights.

I agree that if not done properly the place can start looking really scruffy, but done properly it's fine. With the amount of vandalism we get there's no point in having anything expensive cos the little b******* smash it up.

If it was my own garden i'd spend the cash and have something nice. After all, a garden is an extra room on your house so deserves to look good
Lots of love

Lizzie
Compo
KG Regular

No one got it on tape or DVD then.... :?:

Never mind wont forget this sunday

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sorry Compo, i think it was the best one as well.
I really enjoyed it. :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Compo

I do have the first three episodes from the last series on video, just not in my mitt at present. I can get it back and lend it to you if you want but I have a feeling the new series will have been re-edited a bit. I also have a copy of the old one on DVD but the colour is all wrong and everyone is a bit blue as the red saturation clearly hasn't saturated (blue rhubarb). It's watchable and understandable though and I can send you a copy (to keep) of this if you'd prefer. Send me a PM with your address if this is any use.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

Sorry Compo - I recorded it on Sky Plus then deleted it after watching on Sunday evening. There's 9 more to go though.....
tracie
KG Regular

at last hope my brainy son will set the dvd for me as he is the only one who knows how to use it.
I agree a stupid time, think I will complain to the BBC. Maybe they will bring it out on a dvd.
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
ken
KG Regular

I've just picked up on this thread again, having been grateful to the first writer for alerting us to the fact that the show was coming back on air.
Yes, I agree that the Sunday morning timing isn't ideal for gardeners, though what it tends to mean in this household is a v. extended coffee break. But it is possible to record it if you're at church or out onthe allotment. Meanwhile, I think it's a good series, and it's great that the BBC has kept its word and brought it back again.
Instead of complaining, I send a thank-you email to the BBC, while pointing out that they still hadn't given the show much publicity. This was properly acknowledged by someone who had clearly read what I had to say and who promised to pass my comments on to those involved.
Members of this forum complained very loudly when the original series was taken off. The right course now is not to go on whinging but to show your appreciation of the fact that the programme has been brought back, even if it isn't at an ideal time.
You would think, wouldn't you, that Monty Don and co. on Gardeners' World would give the programme a plug?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic