Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So sorry I haven't posted anything on the forum for a while, (sure some will be a little pleased :) just been so, so busy!
Anyway, been and dug some Swift potatoes, (just the right size) cut a couple of little gem lettuces and picked some strawberries.
Now trying to get some jobs done, before it gets too hot.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Forgot to say, funny how you see certain things happen, then certain people come to mind....the other weekend, the Red Arrows came over from West to East, and this made Clive pop into my thoughts....hope you are doing okay Old Thing!!!

Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Old H,
Seems quite quiet on the aeroplane front up this way....the T9 Spitfire that i used to mention as a regular around this way was sold on a few years ago and is now one that operates the 'rides' in the South... Even the Typhoons seem a little quiet...they're anything but quiet, but keeping a low profile. ...now I wonder if that comment will excite some aeroplane action.... A couple of years ago we were working on a border and had only minutes earlier commented on Tradescantia variety 'Isis'....and low and behold along comes an Apache helicopter....they're listening.. ;)

Busy busy in the Gardens...my take is that there has been 3 weeks growth in the space of just a week... Although maybe it grew whilst i was sat in the dark with a grumbling aching shattered tooth....or maybe in the time whilst I was phoning around trying to get it looked at.

Is the Milton B' home dentistry dept still operating.??

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Clive, yes, self extractions still take place if required.... :) hope yo have got your tooth sorted!

Hope it's a little cooler than yesterday, I watered the little pots of plants 5 times yesterday....

retropants
KG Regular

I'm expecting hotter today here in Middlesex. I have ordered some capillary matting for my pepper plants in the greenhouse. I know they like 'hot' but they are wilting by lunchtime.
robo
KG Regular

I started my peppers off in an heated propergater which was good but they are very slow to grow on
Monika
KG Regular

Our tomatoes are growing and flowering well (in the greenhouse), but I can find no little tomatoes so far - I do hope they are setting. I keep wriggling them and keep the atmosphere damp, so fingers crossed .....
Westi
KG Regular

I may be melting but at least the temp rise & sunshine have woken the strawberries up. Too hot & dry for the slimy things as well so lots of perfect specimens! I may have an overload this year as got soft & kept the old bed (just to be sure), but as it's so established they are the ones coming first but the newbies are just a whisker away from harvest. Last week of taking the asparagus :( ,but at least all the new replacement crowns have taken so something to look forward to next year.

Stocked up on the factor 30 so going down tomorrow to do the last bit of weeding which hopefully could be the last of the 'painting the bridge' regime I'm currently practising! Bring on the hoe & shrivel regime so no raking the weeds up as well! Keep hydrated everyone - that includes your plants!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Well not quite like that here. Warmest part of the day was 15° at midnight, 13°early afternoon then downhill to 8° now and still falling. With some wind chill it has been a bit of a shock. Been eating fantastic cauliflowers from the cold greenhouse, planted thee Orkney and the two we have harvested were lovely solid white heads over three pounds each. Tomatoes are doing fine with some good set trusses on the ordinary ones and lots of the pretty semi-double flowers on the beefsteaks (Beefmaster and Cherokee Purple). Runner beans are struggling to catch hold of the sticks in the wind. First flowers on the Greenshaft peas today which I think I'll have to start watering.
Primrose
KG Regular

Seems we wait all year for the summer blooms and then they fade and die so quickly in the heat but veggies here coming on a treat with the combination of sun shine and watering. It,s just lovely to pop into the garden and pick a selection of our own salad leaves and herbs. I have a border full of foxgloves and the flower spikes seem to be half finished within 48 hours this year. Everything is passing too quickly !
Last edited by Primrose on Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Yellow warning for thunder storms & lightning tomorrow night into Thursday down here. I shall ignore the further earthing up of the late spuds on my 'To Do' list in the hope some rain falls on the plot as it is rock hard & I would currently need a pick axe to break the soil up. Mind the list is long so plenty of other stuff to catch up on!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

The water butt is almost empty, and the new one we added a couple of weeks ago hasn't had a rainfall yet! We've also just had a water meter fitted (compulsory unfortunately, they did the whole street last week) so I am hoping we do get the promised rain tomorrow/Friday. I have always used washing up and rinsing water to water the garden in the summer, but I'll be going that extra mile from now on. Maybe the plastic trug will go back into the shower, as in 2018! Veg patch (Potager?!) is looking OK, apart from the carrots. First row germinated well, then the fox dug them and sat on them and slugs ate the remainder. Second row hasn't popped up yet, it's probably too hot for them.
Primrose
KG Regular

Retropants. Feel for you over the compulsory water meter fitting. Gardeners just need to use more water and we,ve delayed signing up for one although no doubt will have one imposed on us eventually.

We have 4 water butts but possibly useful in your case to have a few inter-stackable 2" deep flat trays you can dot around on a patio, lawn or somewhere to catch extra rainfall. Every little helps when you're having to pay for it!
retropants
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose. My husband is a tiler, and he never puts his buckets away properly, so there's usually one or two full of water after its been raining for a while! Usually I moan about them, but now I shall find them very useful!
snooky
KG Regular

Morning Retropants and Primrose,
I wouldn't worry too much about going on a water meter.it might save you money.
We resisted until it was made compulsory in my area and have found that we save £150-£200 a year on the old water rates system.We are a household of three adults so three showers a day,dishwasher everyday.at least five washes in the washing machine,toilet flushing,and general use. I give our large gardens a good soak once a week in summer and whenever needed in the other seasons and daily water plants as when needed.
I must admit I was very sceptical about it but it has worked out for us,but stating that it may not be for everyone.Sod's Law it will be brought in,though, as a compulsory measure on the grounds of saving water.Which these companies would do if they fixed their leaking systems.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic