Is it better to hand wash or use dishwasher?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oliviamia1351
KG Regular

All of you can suggestion me about my question
SelmaAdam
KG Regular

This depends on the amount of the load you are having.If you have less you may wash off the sink.But the dishwasher save water than handwashing.
Westi
KG Regular

I use the dishwater irregularly as only 2 of us so it is not needed unless guests & they are few & far between currently. I do pop a few things in now & again but it takes so long, so not really for my benefit but it has a water source & then you have other things to consider as have to run the taps/machine as other nasties beside Covid! Legionnaire's likes sitting water! In answer to your question Olivia (Welcome btw), it kind of depends on how long the hot tap is running & changes of water. As for your question if a greasy big roast for many with lots of trays & stuff then dishwasher, if limited numbers then hand wash.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I find it hard to get my hands in the dishwasher when it’s running I can manage the washing machine but all the clothes come out dirty , to be honest it depends on the state of the water after washing the dishes
Last edited by robo on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monika
KG Regular

I am afraid we use the dishwasher daily although it's usually just the two of us. Can't be bothered to do it by hand when there is a perfectly good machine which does it better. It also means there is never any dirty crockery or cutlery hanging about. It all goes into the machine after each meal which then runs in the evening and is emptied before bedtime.
Primrose
KG Regular

We managed 30 years without a dishwasher and then opted for a slimline one when our kitchen was refitted. (There are onky two of us except when entertaining)

I think not having one made me more economical in the use of plates, utensils etc. I would keep a bowl of soapy water in the sink all day and wash& immediately reuse any dirty utensils, beakers etc. However increasing age has encouraged us not to waste time and effort on non essential activities and being able to get up after a meal and just shove most things in the dishwasher has its advantages!
ElliotM
KG Regular

Dishwasher is washing your plates under a higher temperature which means a higher % of dirt and bacteria will die. A dishwasher is washing at least an hour every plate and fork you've put in so I think the answer is obvious. Of course it depends on how much plates do you have to wash, being single you do not need a dishwasher as you will spend much more water and detergent, for a small family of 3 or 4 person a dishwasher is a great kitchen gadget. With all that be sure your dishwasher will be mounted correctly and you will have an easy access to it, I was planing really good where to put the dishwashing machine in my kitchen as I have a small kitchen, and I need to design mostly every inch of it, gladly I was guided by some high quality bespoke kitchens colchester designers. Also don't forget to use some really good detergent and salt for your dishwashing machine, don't forget to remove big pieces of food before inserting plates in your dishwashing machine. It's a really good thing as your plates will came out really clean and you won't have any food rest or soap on your plates
Last edited by ElliotM on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Never had a dishwasher as we do it together one washes the other dries.

No dirty left overs stuck on plates to worry about as this is taken care of by the dog.

Was visiting friends in USA thought I would help out in the morning by washing up last nights dirty dishes, then found out they had a dishwasher.
kuljitkaur
KG Regular

Dishwasher save you water and energy.It is easier to use.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Dishwasher save you water and energy.It is easier to use."

Wonder how many bowls of water does a dishwater use and what does it cost to heat the water?
Daveswife
KG Regular

A lot of energy and pollution and use of metals goes into manufacturing a dishwasher, and non recyclable waste when it conks out and has to be discarded. So I wash by hand. One bowlful of water, once a day (or sometimes I miss a day) and that's it. Surely this is far less water and washing up liquid than a dishwasher machine uses. And while I wash up I get a chance to watch birds on the feeders in the garden and chat to Husband Dave when does the drying up.

I also don't have a washing machine for the same reasons. I've just turned 70 and my friends think I am bonkers!
Angie
Primrose
KG Regular

Angie - with the current rise in energy prices your friends may soon be joining you in washing their dishes by hand!
Stephen
KG Regular

"better" there's a difficult question.

I do it by hand mainly because I live by myself and have a small kitchen. Also I don't trust them with glass and (some) stainless steel gets discoloured by them.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"I also don't have a washing machine for the same reasons. I've just turned 70 and my friends think I am bonkers!"

No way you are bonkers Daveswife.

Been trying to get ER indoors to ditch ours, problem is she does not like the idea of taking the washing down to the rocks by the river.
coly8158
KG Regular

A dishwasher is more water-efficient than washing by hand when you have a full load. If you've only got a few dirty plates or you're in a small household where it's not practical to wait until the dishwasher's full, you're probably better off washing in the sink.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic