Overworked ears

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

I'm short-sighted so I have to wear specs to watch the telly or go out. Then about a year ago I realised my hearing wasn't what it ought to be and ended up being precribed BTE (behind the ears) hearing aids on the NHS. (The audiology doctor was marvellous.)

I was a bit concerned whether my new hearing aids would conflict with the legs of the specs. She said, "Just try putting the specs back on and see how you feel." It wasn't a problem. The specs and aids sit comfortably together.

But now with all this Covid stuff, my poor little shell-likes have to carry another burden - mask loops. It's really uncomfortable to have specs, hearing aids and mask loops all together - and if I take one thing off it invariably pulls off or out one or more of the others. It's not comfortable or convenient. (OK, it's a First World problem. I'm lucky to have specs and hearing aids.)

I think I might try to make a mask based on a head band (or two?) to keep it on, rather than ear loops. Perhaps such a thing is already available to buy but I haven't yet found it. I rarely go out so it's not an urgent problem for me. There maybe wouldn't be a huge demand for it anyway, but there must be others who wear specs and BTE hearing aids and are finding ear loops as well just a bit too much.

What do you think? Is anyone else here having a similar problem?
Geoff
KG Regular

The odd time I go shopping or to collect prescriptions I get mask loops and hearing aids in a terrible tangle and keep worrying about losing one. Perhaps a visor is the answer.
peter
KG Regular

First cloth mask I got was a bit tight, ended up using two cycling ankle bands. Velcro ended cloth strips with reflective patches. Used them as a pair of C loops, one on back of head, one on tip, linked to the D loops of the mask.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Try a visor, cheap to buy & just wipe down with alcohol gel between uses. It sits above your ears & has padded forehead section so stands away from your ears as well. The other thing you could try is those neck scarf things that you pull over your head. If you fold them in 1/2 you can pull them up over your mouth & nose (& get further protection as more layers) & they are nice & soft & of course you just pull them back down around your neck when finished. That means less mucking around & touching it too much while trying to unloop the elastic bits.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

I have one of the neck snood type ones, it is fab. If you do want to stick with a mask, you can get crocheted devices with a couple of buttons on that you hook the two loops on, they sit at the back of your head if that make sense?
Chantal
KG Regular

My husband has masks that have two elastic bands (top and bottom) which go right round his head. He much prefers these as he can push them down to hang around his neck.

They sell them at our local chemist.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks! So many helpful replies. :D

I've made the mistake of thinking "mask" rather than "face covering". Now you've pointed it out, of course I can figure out some face covering that doesn't tangle the hearing aids with the mask loops.

I accept that it's necessary to wear these things (unless exempt) but this mask arrangement is so very difficult for me - steamed up specs and tangled hearing aids. If I ever go out again, I'll try your methods. Definitely something at the back of the head rather than hanging from the ears.
robo
KG Regular

I have them all ( I’m not bragging ) the ones you pull over your head and have round your neck are the most comfortable ones but I don’t feel like they are doing anything as they are so easy to breath through nice and warm though , I find the blue ones like you get free at hospitals a wast of time , my visor is good but I wear a cap which gets in the way , I’ve a couple of thick white ones given to me which are good but you need your ears , stravaig in your position I would go for a visor or the open end sock type you wear round your neck and pull up over your mouth when needed
Stephen
KG Regular

I appreciate you are in the Ukraine, so these have limited value, you may be able to obtain them.
Option - a buff https://www.buff.com/gb/
similar products available from (example) Mountain Warehouse in fleece https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/accessories/neck-warmers-snoods/polar-fleece-head-tube-p11242.aspx/black/ or a lighter weight https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ski/ski-accessories/neck-warmers-snoods/patterned-head-tube-p11243.aspx/orange/.
These are only single layer which may not complay with local demands, but are comfortable and warm too.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

You need 3 layers minimum to be effective and you need a few as they should be washed after each use. I got mine from Sea Salt, Cornwall. They are double layer as a snood but 4 when folded up over your nose & mouth & if not wearing it as a neck warmer you can fold it 3 times & pull it over your head & it still covers the nose & sits under the chin.

We have to wear the hospital ones (they are approved due to the materials in the layers), but their life span is just 4 hrs, not at all comfortable, slip off your nose so you have to keep playing with it which is actually not good practice - this problem is brand specific though. I think many of the older ones are wearing the ones given to them on arrival at the hospital still from Covid 1 when they had their appointment.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks again, folks. I'm sure I'll find something to suit from all these suggestions.

BTW, I can buy some things mail order from the UK as I have a UK address which can forward things to me - but not glass or liquids.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic