Tall Pea's

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

Need some recommendations for a tall pea variety please.

Regards

Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Monika
KG Regular

'Alderman' is a very tall pea, Arnie.
Westi
KG Regular

My Alderman are trying to be tall but being buffeted by the continuous gales! But they are a nice tasting pea as well so are getting extra support! Picking is going to be a challenge though with netting in the frame & wrapped around the outside as well!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Tried Alderman once and decided they weren't worth the extra work so I just grow Greenshaft.
Monika
KG Regular

I agree, Geoff. Having tried Alderman and other varieties, I have always come back to Hurst Greenshaft - prolific, tasty and reasonably safe from powdery mildew.
judyk
KG Regular

I got a free packet of "Champion of England" this year, and knowing nothing about it I tried some on a 6' willow frame and a few more on a spare bit of space I had on a metal arch (about 10' at the apex). Germination was good but I did lose about 25% after transplanting, which is not usual for peas with me. But the survivors were soon heading for the sky, and got to the top of the willow frame in a few weeks, then started grabbing anything else in reach, such as a potted peach tree and the branches of a willow. The ones on the arch got to the top and grew through it, hanging down like tropical vines. At a guess the ones climbing the trees made about 12' to 14 feet. If they hadn't been shaded I think it could have been more.
"Champion" is a large meaty type of pea, not very sweet but with a good pea taste and is a meal in itself. It dates from around the 1840s and it's now sold as a heritage variety. It needs a bit of cooking but would bulk out a stew very well, or make great pea soup. The pods have also survived constant rain here in north Devon since the start of August, with no sign of mildew or rot, unlike my Calibri petit pois, most of which I've lost.
When Champion didn't transplant well I didn't intend to grow it again, but now I probably will, if I can make it a suitable climbing frame. For a high-climbing pea, it's definitely a candidate to consider.
Westi
KG Regular

Never heard of them judyk but will look for them. I always risk a late sow of runners & peas in the hope I will have space in freezer for them as will have used the others up for sure. So they share the structure - sometimes I get lucky as down south, but think I will be in the freezer aisle this year!
Westi
judyk
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Never heard of them judyk but will look for them. I always risk a late sow of runners & peas in the hope I will have space in freezer for them as will have used the others up for sure. So they share the structure - sometimes I get lucky as down south, but think I will be in the freezer aisle this year!

Dobies have it for £3.50. Other sites selling it are mainly heritage and organic sellers and you have to mail or phone to get a price. Apparently it was bred in 1843 by one William Fairbeard, which for me conjures up a picture of a marauding Viking with a sword (and spare time for breeding peas). Some sites mention that it was used by Charles Darwin in his genetic experiments. Hope he was taller than he looks in his photographs, otherwise he would have had trouble! Most sites say the average height of the plant is 10'.

Think I'll be dipping into the freezer too as it's been so cool and wet here that it wasn't worth trying a late sowing of anything. Good idea mixing the runners and peas - the runners must give the peas a lot of extra handholds.
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers judyk! I shall get some ordered for next year.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic