Mid-summer Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

One of my sweet corn plants bent from the root I’m hoping I’ve saved it by heeling it in the rest were protected by the asparagus plants which have grown fongs up to nearly 2meters and thick as well, the cherry tomatoes in the hanging baskets have taken a battering but will survive, tomorrow I’m away to my favourite part of this world Dinas dinlle well it’s near my favourite part
vivienz
KG Regular

We've been enjoying the blanched endive (marachiere) again today. I first tried blanching it with a bucket on top but in the hot weather we had, it cooked the head and turned into something very nasty! For the rest, I tied the heads together with straw and that has worked very well. Lovely pale and tender heart leaves with just the right amount of crunch and bitterness. Perfect for a Lyonnaise salad with a few crispy duck fat roast spuds.
vivienz
KG Regular

Are we still in mid summer or are we running straight through to autumn? Less than a month to the autumn equinox now.
Geoff
KG Regular

Must be Autumn we've had a big spider move in with us.
Primrose
KG Regular

Wont be long then before Jimmy, our large spider who lives in the bath, and has to be carefully rescued every day before morning ablutions, starts making an appearance.

It always amused me that one of my friends used to regularly collect conkers every autumn "to keep spiders out of the house". She never admitted whether it worked or not but I'm sure if you inspect horse chestnut trees they're probably full of spiders webs!
Monika
KG Regular

It's strange that spiders are one animal I could not pick up - I have no problem with mice, frogs, toads, etc but I was badly frightened by a large spider when I was about 8 years old and ever since, they spook me. I catch them with the usual 'glass and card' method and put them safely outside, but, no, Primrose, I could not pick one up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic