Cabbages

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lovelytashchick
KG Regular

I am a first time gardener. I've never planted veg before. But I brought some seedlings from a garden center a few months back (cabbages). Silly me forgot to bring a label from the shop.So I didn't know how far to plant them apart ect or what type they were. So its been a few weeks. I'd say I got them at the end of may as seedlings and they went straight into the ground. They are planted closer together than I would have liked. I started in a tunnel and they were growing lovely. But they got really tall! I put a net around them but it was useless as the white butterflies kept getting in. So I gave up and just sprayed them. Didn't work as they've all got massive munch marks in them haha. But now I don't think they're forming heads after all these months. Can anyone help? Can we just eat the leaves or shall i just bin them and start growing something else? I've been told by the place I brought them that they don't think theyre going to form heads due to temperatures ect. Thank you.
Attachments
20200727_174844.jpg
20200727_174844.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 2532 times
Stephen
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum.
Those look OK for a first time! You should have seen my first attempt!

I started having done virtually no gardening on my own account for four decades - I just pruned shrubs under my mother's direction.
And you just learn by doing it and asking questions here! We don't bite.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

They look like a white Winter cabbage to me and still have plenty of time to heart up. Unless you have a definite better use for the space I would leave them to get on with it.
sally wright
KG Regular

With that stalk at the bottoms of the leaves they look rather like Brussels sprouts to me. They also look rather healthy.
Regards Sally Wright.
Monika
KG Regular

Brussels sprouts were my first guess as well! Just have a look in the leaf axles (the space where the leaf joins the stem) and if you see some tiny, tiny 'buds', they may be the start of sprouts. In which case, you will have to wait for another three months or so for a harvest, but, judging from the health of the plants, you could get a good one!
daxtell71
KG Regular

I am new at this too and I think I have done similar with my radish crop. So glad to have found this forum. :D
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:
lovelytashchick
KG Regular

I can't believe it! Thank to all you guys help it turns out the are sprouts!! The label said greyhound cabbages in the shop. Haha so happy theyre actually growing well. Thank you guys for all the help.
Attachments
20200728_170046.jpg
20200728_170046.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 2484 times
Westi
KG Regular

They look pretty good indeed! Most of the brassica family are a long time coming but worth it! All they need to do is figure out how to stop them all ripening at once regardless of when you sow! But enjoy the Brussel Sprouts but best start searching the site for recipes as you are going to have quite a few!

Welcome to the forum btw! x
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Don’t forget you can eat the heads just like cabbage
lovelytashchick
KG Regular

Thanks again all of you. You're all so helpful. Glad i found this forum.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic