Quality compost?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

HelenH
KG Regular

Could anyone recommend a proper quality compost available to buy in preferably bulk bag size that comes somewhere near to the quality of real, proper homemade stuff? Currently I don't produce anywhere near enough for our requirements and I find the usual bagged compost from garden centres pretty useless particularly for soil improvement.
peter
KG Regular

Humax.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Breq
KG Regular

Humax is peat-based, and I do not use peat products. For a soil improver, I would go for Dalefoot Double Strength. It is too strong to use neat in pots: They have other products for seeds, potting, etc. I got a good deal, believe it or not, from a Sarah Raven a few pennies cheaper and I had a free shipping voucher. When I ran out and just needed something for pots, I used some New Horizon peat free - cheaper, not as good quality but the only decent one available at GC.
Corby80
KG Regular

Does your local tip (recycling centre) sell bags of soil improver?
snooky
KG Regular

Hi Helen,
This company is local to you and you could give them a ring:-https://www.logsdirect.co.uk/
They do bulk bags for £95-00
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic