End of Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elmigo
KG Regular

You can use the tiny white label at the bottom of the tomato plants as a reference for how large they are.

GREENHOUSE TOMATO IN SOIL
20200523_153235.jpg
20200523_153235.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 3009 times

OUTDOOR TOMATO IN POT
20200523_153249.jpg
20200523_153249.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 3009 times
Last edited by Elmigo on Sun May 24, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Primrose
KG Regular

I,m sure it will be interesting doing the greenhouse vs garden experiment For yiur various plants. It does serve to remind us thwt sometime quite small variations in the weather can make a huge difference as to whether plants thrive or not.
Are you finding it more challenging than growing on your balcony ? There are a lot more factors to take Into account arn,t there?

My current experiment is trying to give intensive care to the top length of a pepper plant with fruit buds on it which had grown far too tall and spindly tomproeuce fruit effectively the fruit so I,ve potted it on and now have it on my wiNdow sill. I take it as a personal affront when my plants die on me!
Primrose
KG Regular

Very healthy looking tomatoes Elmigo.
As a matter of interest have you decided what you're going to do with all the soil in your tomato pots when they!ve finished cropping?. I find in a smallish garden can sometimes be a problem trying to recycle it fruitfully
Elmigo
KG Regular

I've decided to just dump it on top of the garden soil and mix in a lot of compost from a nearby farmer who is happy to lose some. They have cows and they mix in cow dumps. If anybody has some ideas I'd be happy to try them out!

Just noticed I accidentally switched the pictures above. Got the right caption above them now.
Compo
KG Regular

I tip the compost out of seedling trays on the ridges of the tatties. Or anywhere on the beds I can....
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Monika
KG Regular

I recycle much of the soil for the pots in the following year, just making sure that I don't re-use them for the same vegetables, i.e. the potato soil is always used for wallflowers and tulips, then possibly for carrots (depends on the timing) and then go on the garden beds. The tomato pots and growbags tend to be crammed with roots, so they are left out in the elements on the vegetable beds to break down before being spread.
By the way, my tomatoes (Gardeners Delight) in the greenhouse have their second lot of flowers which is earlier than in many other years. Must be all the sun we are having.
vivienz
KG Regular

The wind gas died down a little here today but it's still very blustery. I've planted out 2 butternut squashes and 2 jack o lantern pumpkins, all into the east-south-east facing earth mound that shelters from the winter south westerlies. The butternuts were practically crawling out of their pots by themselves, with several small fruits developing on one. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they all get on scrambling across the steep face of the mound. I will drive some stakes in as they grow for support.
Everything greenhouse related continues to do well, the raised beds are also thriving. I planted out my beans and mange tout last week - they're just about holding their own against the wind.
HelenH
KG Regular

Still windy here too. Delayed some of my planting out over the past few weeks because of the cold nights and very hot days, and over the weekend because of the windy conditions. Have lots of runner beans desperate for planting and the courgettes won't last much longer in their pots. I also have a lot of coriander and parsley which will be torn to shreds if they go out now. So I'm lining my newly-made pallet strawberry planter with weed suppressant fabric ready to receive plants, hopefully later today if it's calmer. Tomatoes and cucumbers romping away, so too lettuce. Plenty of bedding plants to put in and a couple of hanging baskets to sort out. Never a dull moment!
Westi
KG Regular

I love squash! Yesterday they looked so sad even though protected the wind was taking it's toll & wee leaves bruising against the supports. Today I have some sad leaves but fresh bright new growth as well! Runners despite the windbreak not as perky but not snapped or anything, just on a lean! Well wind is over at least, but no rain on the phone for the next 2 weeks so challenges continue!
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

Here we go for another day in paradise. Off to the plot for tea and ......wait fo it.....
Weeding
Tidying away pots and trays
Pricking out and potting on
Radio2 has a day of popmaster mind so that should help.
Westi
KG Regular

I was at work today but went down to water this afternoon! Bone dry but things are growing so happy, although someone has helped themselves to some of my outside broad beans. Fortunately carefully picked & not the lot, so inside job I expect! And methinks I could guess who it might be, but I can't challenge anyone as the gate is left open on best advice! There is even one or two of the old guys who have decamped there as well! Totally understandable when your view out the window is a brick wall & you have something soo much better a short walk away! (Not sure covered in our contract but no-one will tell)!
Westi
Compo
KG Regular

I spend on average 5-8 hours a day on the plot, having just retired, I have no indoor hobbies to speak of, and my wife and I have never been joined at the hip. The allotment is my salvation. And with a big shed and some tools, and lots of pallet wood there is plenty to do. Sad about your beans Westi, we occasionally get the same problem, I often think we should get a wildlife cam to find the culprits. However, it is what it is and tomorrow is another day.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

HELP. Planted some bare rooted roses last autumn, my friendly fox insist in digging up the same rose. [ third time to date ] Any suggestions would be grateful , I no longer have a 12 bore.
Last edited by Shallot Man on Wed May 27, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primrose
KG Regular

shallotman, have you included any chicken manure pellets or similar smelling fertiliser close to the rose bush? It could be the smell of that which is tempting it to dig around to investigate, thinking it may be a food source. Of course you could always diflect its attention elsewhere by leaving out a dish of dog or cat food for it, or some butchers scraps.

I kNow there are mixed opinions about feeding foxes bit it may depend how much you value your rose bush! We fed a fox for a couple of years. It came briefly every night, knew where the food was, gulped it up and left as quickly as it came. Never did any damage to our garden.
Last edited by Primrose on Wed May 27, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Could you try placing some wire mesh (chicken wire or similar) on the ground surrounding the rose?

Barney
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic