Young person shielding let down by well known seed company - computer says 'no' complaints

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

time4tea
KG Regular

Hi,

I fully sympathise with anyone over 64 that has been told to shield. Well other half and I have received a government letter to shield until late July or later. Luckily home working is an option, but we have had terrible problems with on-line delivery.

Despite being immunocompromised, we cannot get on-line deliveries as supermarkets aren't taking on new vulnerable customers. Non-shielding people are still receiving deliveries regularly, too lazy to shop. When we can manage a Click and Collect (30 mile round trip), there is a shortage of salad stuff etc. We decided to grow our own.

We enthusiastically dug over half out lawn, then ordered compost, protective netting, seeds from a well known supplier. Nearly four weeks after taking our money, we got 2 bags of compost that were not for us. Note surprise when another customer's name was on it, next to a Delivery company label. We're also missing £150 of stuff (netting, pest control, seeds (now past sowing). Not taking phone calls due to Corvid 19 to ensure customer orders are despatched (now despatching stuff a week past our order date). When i filled in the on-line form and selected 'Complaint', their computer system changed it to 'Customer Query.' They then sent us a fob off automated email in font size 9 (thank goodness I'm too young to need reading glasses). It said they will not respond and close the matter, unless we reply to the FAQ fob off.

So they must be giving themselves a giant pat on the back 'no complaints.' Like our holiday that was cancelled - company have closed due to Covid and didn't pay ferry operator, so they cannot refund us. Seems companies are using Covid as an excuse to let simple things like checking orders are correct before despatch, knowing we are powerless to complain, as call centres are closed and computer system doesn't know what a complaint is. :shock:

Mean while, two nearly two weeks ago I grew worried, no compost, no seeds, no equipment.

KITCHEN GARDEN MEANS WE HAVE SEEDLINGS:
I ordered KG for advice, magazine and free seeds nearly 2 weeks ago, mainly as a backup for seeds. Thankfully we now have some lovely seedlings growing. :D

I still think we need to open garden centres, they can sustain social distancing, freeing up on-line delivery companies for people on medication that makes them vulnerable. I never thought I'd say this, but certain on-line stores where people can flog spare seeds and bulbs along with books etc have been a godsend. All packages arrived within 2 days, as people are looking for ways to save money or make a bit. My other half is doing important research for NHS from home (non Covid work continues), some colleagues have been removed from research to Covid wards. Gardening has been a great way for other half to relax.

Hopefully everyone else hasn't had any woes, fobbed off with 'Covid.'
Colin2016
KG Regular

Go direct to the CEO.

Do you have farm shops near you?

Ours have plenty of compost & plants.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

No idea where you are, but I got a delivery from my local garden centre in Arbroath, we can order pretty much what we want from them.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
time4tea
KG Regular

No, unfortunately our nearest local shop doesn't really do veg or salad, milk usually goes off after a day - sad decline of village. As a girl I went on holidays here, this village used to have a bakery, post office, pet shop, supermarket, garage - all gone by the time we relocated here for work (lost post office and garage two years ago). We have a pharmacy though. :)

Our nearest supermarket is 10 minutes drive away, but has refused adding more vulnerable people on. My neighbour has terminal illness, not mobile, so worse than us. We usually let each other know when someone can get a 'slot' and Asda does Click and Collect, booked late at night in advance, so we can add neighbour's items two days before. Asda has at least allowed us to order a CC, first pick up was hassle free. Drive to point, they come out with shopping bagged and place in car all socially distanced. 30 mile round trip is a pain, but better than nothing.

We did hear back this morning from seed delivery company (I nagged the couriers). Told to keep wrong stuff and wait three weeks for replacements. Good we have enough garden, as there is a waiting list for local allotments. Even my Mum (lives 160 miles away) has decided to make a few planters and grow salad, radish. She was amazed when I suggested growing courgette up sunny corner of house and has done this. Amazing what she has achieved in a very small garden.

It feels good to be growing things, should have done it three years ago. :D
Westi
KG Regular

Just the prices going up on everything says being ripped off. Now to cheer us up we are being told heading for the biggest recession since 17** something! Get the mag when you can with the seeds, grow what you can, but be tenacious & sow again if a failure! Enjoy the seasons however uncomfortable, be a part of & in the earth & not just looking in! The best head space I have, although cleaning the skirting boards & window frames gave me a moment today!

As for deliveries I might loose the skirting board moment if I comment! :) Not many folk will continue the adventure of growing & fall beside the wayside but in the interim they have pretty much stuffed any availability for the real guys! Bit like the loo roll & flour hoarding!
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Three weeks for replacements?
As seeds companies are struggling look at the smaller business found in the back of the magazine or ebay/amazon.

Check out local villages websites and see if they have a gardeners/allotment section or garden clubs most will have or know of spare plants around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic