2020 Spring Bits & Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:You lot are brilliant never fail to make me smile... :)

On another funny note, I was over the allotment at 12.30am this morning, trying to get some sheets of corrugated plastic under control...someones outside light came on, so I bet they wondered what on earth was going on. :)

OH. 0030hrs. Isn't that reserved for burglas. :wink: :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

Well so much for all the lovely blossom, minus three last night.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Used a Ferrero Rocher tray & lid as seed tray.
Attachments
Seed Tray.jpg
Seed Tray.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 2794 times
seed tray s.jpg
seed tray s.jpg (653.23 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
Clive.
KG Regular

Golden Bantam sweetcorn, enclosed with KG magazine....just coming through this morning in the propagator..and those up far enough are having the day on the greenhouse bench.

Compost used was 1/2" riddled from well turned compost heap....

.......I weeded a few other seedlings out before taking the photo... :wink:

C.
Attachments
Photo-0063.jpg
Photo-0063.jpg (159.65 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
Monika
KG Regular

A stinker of a frost last night. The sweet pepper plants were huddled round the heater in the greenhouse and covered with bubble plastic but they still looked a 'goner' this morning. Luckily, all but one have recovered. Even marsh marigolds and new growth on the buddleias have flagged outside. Glad I covered all the brassica seedlings with copious fleece.
Clive.
KG Regular

Sweetcorn count is now up to 15. :) upon checking this morning....
One job today was to put up canes for runner beans...then went a bit rash and sowed half the wigwams in situ. :shock: :oops: .... Good job I've got more own saved seed.! as think I've been far too keen, although I could really feel the warmth of the soil through my boots so we'll see... I would normally staunchly follow my grandfathers thoughts, at home at any least, and wait 'til I've seen the first person coming back from Boston May Fair...that might be a long wait ...as of course it's postponed....

C.
vivienz
KG Regular

I'm now the very proud owner of 1 greenhouse and 2.5 raised beds - woohoo! More on the way but the complete beds are already either planted up or sown and covered in enviromesh.
It was a lovely day here although it started with a frost. At 10am, out of interest, I shoved a thermometer probe into the shady part of the soil of one of the raised beds - a very comfortable 8C.
I did another temperature comparison this afternoon. Outside, out of the wind, it was a glorious 18C. The greenhouse was 25C. Interestingly, under the enviromesh over the raised bed it was 22C, a nice half way house between the two others.
I'm waiting for my min/max thermometer to arrive so I can find out what the overnight temps are like.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

This is an early start, just been pollinating strawberry flowers in the greenhouse with a small paintbrush.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Stephen
KG Regular

A stinker of a frost last night.

Phew, you are clearly tough up there in Yorkshire! I'm so glad that it has warmed up here in the Chilterns. (As I write that my fingers are crossed against a late frost because it isn't too late!)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

I'm now the very proud owner of 1 greenhouse and 2.5 raised beds

Congratulations! I'm (reasonably) happy with one mini-greenhouse at home and a yet-to-be-assembled one for the allotment.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Can't wait to put all the tomatoes and cucumber families in the ground. Many people have already done this but tonight suddenly frost came and the plants are without a doubt harmed by the low temperatures. They will discover the effects later. I'm still waiting!
Compo
KG Regular

Still struggling with beating the mice, I have put all the chunky seedlings in a high up shelf wrapped in netting in the greenhouse and they haven't found them. The cukes and the sweet peas have got a to a stage where they will survive if the seeds are eaten so that is good. Unfortunately I got to hide the butternut squash so getting replacement seed could be an issue. I am still waiting a seed delivery from Dobies, who are particularly slow, two weeks since order now and not marked on their website as despatched. Why did I choose them from all the others!!

Still the weather is good and I am getting on famously with preparing the beds. Perks of being retired!!

Hope all of you are keeping well and avoiding the virus. Keep Safe!!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
robo
KG Regular

I find the time to rid the poly tunnel of mice and rats is winter , poison the buggers then and they are not around in spring
retropants
KG Regular

I finally heard back from my local garden centre regarding my delivery. I have compost arriving in the next couple of days! Finally, it's been 3 weeks since I called them!
Compo
KG Regular

I'd rather deter than poison the mice personally. But then that's me!!
Last edited by Compo on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic