The social conscience as shown on last night's Newsnight

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

I'm sorry of this is seen as too political or inappropriate but this introduction and closing passage from Newsnight is, in my opinion, utterly brilliant, very much to the point and very moving. I didn't see it live (not having a TV nor TV license) but saw it first on Twitter, then found it on the Newsnight Youtube channel, which I previously did not know existed.

There is only four minutes in this introduction and conclusion to the programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wIcpdJyCI
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

I was gob smacked two weeks ago watching Merseyside television early one morning when for no reason they started doing interviews in the street asking people were and why they were out I would liked to ask the producer why he seemed it ok to put an interviewer,a sound operator and no doubt half a dozen other operatives in the street for no reason at all
Primrose
KG Regular

I think this pandemic will have given one thing for society when it is all over and that will hopefully be a far greater appreciation for those who really keep the wheels of society oiled and running.

For far too long we have become obsessed with extravagantly paid footballers, celebrities who most people have never heard of and vacuous pop stars or those who who make their money by manipulating stock markets.

None of them have driven ambulances ,trains or buses, stacked supermarket shelves, cared for the sick and elderly or performed essential roles which have kept the nation ticking over when most activities have ground to a halt.

We need to have a different perspective on the values and services people contribute to society and hopefully crisis this is causing many to rethink the way they view certain professions. Why is it often the lowest paid workers, who, when a crisis occurs, are the ones the rest of society most depend on for their wellbeing?

I
Westi
KG Regular

What is also sad is the names of a lot of these people show they came here for a better life, which it may have been dependent on where they came from, but still they sacrificed their lives to help others? Their compassion was there, kind of inbuilt, despite the separation from their families they cared for ours & payed the ultimate price, so their families in their home country are grieving & hopefully many of those they looked after here may have survived thanks to their dedication.

Totally right Primrose! Would a footballer be able (or want) to empty your bin? Time for the focus to shift & note some even disagreed on taking a pay cut as already donating to charities! As a tax dodge no doubt! It won't happen I feel!
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

I am pessimistic (or is it realistic?). I fear that when this is but a short way in the past those who have been praised as heroes for putting their lives on the line, and in too many cases losing them, will again be treated as dispensable shit by the privileged and powerful. After all it's only a short while since Tory MPs literally applauded the decision to block a pay rise for nurses! Anyone who voted Tory and then felt virtuous for applauding nurses the other night is simply a bloody hypocrite. I am tempted to express myself a lot more strongly than that!!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

Well said the last three posters ,my hands are still tingling from tonight’s show of appreciation,not much appreciation shown by our M.P.s as they claim an extra £10,000 for working from home bloody hypocrites
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I wonder what our dear old Pa Snip would have had to say on the matter...much as above but,in even stronger words...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Some churches want to start worshipping again over Easter. They've been telling us for centuries they know better than the rest of us, now is the time for them to prove themselves wrong, let them get on with it.
Westi
KG Regular

I hate the clapping thing as well! There is two sides to this - when all is fine everyone plods on, without recognition & forgotten but for the few truly grateful! Now the dick that was in A&E abusing (or assaulting), staff a few months ago is out there bloody clapping! Dispensable indeed - note how the PPE has been dumbed down with the 'new Corona Act'! It's cool to wear the one mask for multiple patients? Really? The virus is on the outside of the mask for a start even if not leeched into it to contaminate the nurse, the risk to the next patient is raised as you can't wipe it clean! I'm not on the coal face but I have to monitor those on my remit & lost 2 already. All i ask is do not ever share any element of this post anywhere else! I share with you as trust you, but some foolish enough to think FB is safe have been kinda threatened!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We are right behind you, Westi, I think we all know what is truly going on and it's a disgrace...and I would like to personally thankyou, for all you have done and doing for the NHS.x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Same from me westi ,my daughter has a pop at me evertime I speak to her on the phone ,my problem is I’ve started wearing these gloves as well as wearing masks in supermarkets she says every time I touch something I should put On a new pair she is just as bad over the mask she is adamant I should carry a spray in my lapel and spray my hands regularly the mask she says are useless says I’m far better wearing a scarf round my face ,I can’t argue with her she is far more qualified than I have ever been
Primrose
KG Regular

I think one of the problem with masks is that they don,t necessarily stop you from involuntarily touching your face. I,ve been truly shocked now it,s been brought to national attention how many times I do it without even realising: when taking of my glasses, flicking hair away from my eyes or forehead, scratching an itch or just resting my hands on my chin while watching TV or reading.

We have been self isolating for over 3 weeks now as Over 70's and food is being delivered online. . I would like to think we're therefore at a pretty low risk of being infected but I do wonder about the risk from our post and daily newspaper being delivered. At what point does being careful turn into paranoia?

My hands are already sore from constant washing and now regular hand weeding, even wearing gloves, is making them worse. When all this is over I suspect a lot of people will be suffering from signs of dermatitis. I,m sure many front line medical and healthcare staff must already be suffering from this problem.
Stephen
KG Regular

All strength to your elbow Westi.

I understand your daughter's points Robo but there is nothing one can do when whizzing round the supermarket. I think everything I picked up in my £30 spend last week was in bags. I wouldn't normally do this but above all, it seemed like the quickest way to get the shopping done, so the queue would move faster.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi robo! Just treat your gloves like you would your hands & rub alcohol gel if avail over them while still wearing them or just wash them with soap & water. They are vinyl & if you look at some of the film footage on TV you will see the doctors doing just that.

Hi Stephen! Funny isn't it that we were bemoaning the over packaging & now that is exactly what is preventing some spread! As we get our fruit & veg out of it asap anyway just cut the bag, tip them out, turn bag inside out & put in the waste bin outside & wash your hands & scissors or empty other products into other containers!

I was not amused reading the paper today that said we may stay in lock down until a vaccine is found. Now this monster has already morphed into 3 strains as it travelled around the world, fortunately not all 3 visiting one place at the same time! I had a thought today as it is spores just floating around, what would happen if we had sudden rain? Would they be washed down onto us stoic gardeners? Might just turn into a fair weather gardener if rain is forecast unless you clever guys tell me different!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi. Stop giving me nightmares! There was I thinking I was protecting myself by staying on home territory and just minding my own business staying in the garden and getting on with my seed sowing and now you're suggesting rogue spores could be in the fresh air and i'm just as vulnerable doing that as ai would be visiting a supermarket ! I know we don,t know enough abiut all this but that,s a really scary thought. Do we know how many other viruses can be spread in this way? I suppose it will be a long time before we have answers to these questions.

Perhaps one day the scientists will be able to issue warnings to humans like they do for potato and tomato blightwatch.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic