Well Done Kitchen Garden !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

My March magazine arrived by post this morning enclosed IN A PAPER ENVELOPE instead of its previous customary plastic wrapping.

Delighted you've found an economic way of abandoning the plastic wrapper . Another small step for mankind! Hopefully all the fellow magazines in your publishing stable are also adopting this practice .
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:My March magazine arrived by post this morning enclosed IN A PAPER ENVELOPE instead of its previous customary plastic wrapping.

Delighted you've found an economic way of abandoning the plastic wrapper . Another small step for mankind! Hopefully all the fellow magazines in your publishing stable are also adopting this practice .

Mine still in a plastic rapper.
Primrose
KG Regular

Perhaps they packaged mine specially in a paper envelope to stop me grumbling ! :lol:
KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi Guys

Glad you like it! Yes from now on all subscriber copies will be sent out in paper envelopes which I agree is a big step forwards. Those n the shops are still in a type of plastic, but can be recycled at larger stores at plastic shopping bag collection points and we continue to look for a better method for distributing those too.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Primrose
KG Regular

I guess the display and marketing problems for those on sale in the shops are a little more complicated as you need the magazine title and front cover to be visually accessible, whereas those which come through letter boxes to an individual subscriber don't require this.
KG Steve
KG Editor

Yes it is a bit more complicated in the shops Primrose. As well as allowing potential purchasers to see what's in the issue it also has to remain stable in storage, which has been our problem with starch-based bags etc. But still looking.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Primrose
KG Regular

Well at least you've made the effort to tackle part of the issue and hopefully another solution will eventually present itself. That,s more than some organisations are doing and they probqbky won,t change their ways unless pressurised by their consumers.
Westi
KG Regular

Well Done KG!

Start small & evolve to get what suits both of your groups of buyers! I don't subscribe as like the visit to the local newsagents! As a member of the forum I would buy regardless of the packaging but many who are not, would like a pic of the front cover at least - or not the front cover but something intriguing, but haven't clue about marketing or veg dyes & the like. Dare to risk it for a biscuit with a limited trial run in a couple of spots with just a pic of some perfect veg & your logo in a paper bag? Best not include the South - I would compromise the trial!
Westi
KG Steve
KG Editor

Sounds like a good idea Westi. I'm not sure how the supermarkets or some potential customers would like it, but I'll put it to those who deal with these things and know much more about the marketing aspects than I do. You don't know unless you ask!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Colin2016
KG Regular

A great step forward and thank you for being different.

Regards the shop display issue, how about printing you magazine covers (front & back) on the outside of the envelope not laminated to make it look glossy though.

Perhaps promote this with a flash across it as the "first plastic free gardening magazine on sale" could increase sales from those that refuse to buy plastic wrapped mags.
Primrose
KG Regular

Good idea Colin if it,s possible to implement.
KG Steve
KG Editor

Thanks for these thoughts chaps. I have passed them on and have also been told that we do have some other ideas on the stove too, so watch this space as they say!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic