Planting broad bean seeds end November

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Daveswife
KG Regular

Keen to make best use of the greenhouse over winter can I plant broad bean seeds in trays and pots now? If so, how deep should the soil/compost need to be and how deep should I plant the seed?

Many thanks.
Angie
Westi
KG Regular

My 2 autumn sowings got taken by the mice (or likely rats). I did put in a 3rd sowing but no-show but seeds are in the soil as the door is totally closed & intact. I couldn't say whether light levels or temp fluctuations causing this, but hoping when they have the right conditions they will pop up & suprise me! Maybe too optimistic but hey it's a few broad bean seeds! Time for an experiment maybe?
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

I have some growing in trays in the greem house, which I intend to plant out under cover when they are large enough.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

What is all this fuss sowing broad beans under glass in pots ? Mine go straight in the ground, in November. Suitable varieties (Aquadulce, Sutton, de Monica, ...) will do fine provided the ground is free draining.

What you want is good root system development over winter, not a lot of top growth which will flap in the wind, allowing the base of the stem to be damaged. Avoid this by not sowing too early.
Westi
KG Regular

My first 2 sowings went straight in the ground as well & from there straight into a critter of some type & I did cover them & secure the fleece as experienced this last year. Damn critters are puzzle solvers that's for sure! :)
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

How strange. A problem I've never had. But I do have to clear up frequently after neighbours cats s**ting amongst them, which might be linked.
Monika
KG Regular

I suppose it depends where you live, but I found that spring sown broad beans very quickly catch up with autumn sown ones and cause much less hassle and far far fewer losses, especially in a hard winter. Sowing them in root trainers in early spring in the cold greenhouse before planting outside made the best sense to me.
John
KG Regular

Totally agree with you Monika. This is by far the best way to grow broad beans - use the deep (12cm) trainers. I've found the varieties Jubilee Hysor or Witkiem Manita do very well when sown mid Feb. onwards and given a bit of protection while germinating. Don't bother with the trainer lids.
Remember to sow the seed with the hilum (black scar) downwards as this is where the root will emerge. Any other way and the seedling has to do some gymnastics to get things the right way round.
Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Westi
KG Regular

I thought I would have a peek at the 3rd sowing today & they are just popping up.This lot are in the tunnel not outside so away from the mice but still had a fleece pinned over them as well. They won't stay in the tunnel but go outside when sturdy enough. I was very chuffed to see them.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Remember to sow the seed with the hilum (black scar) downwards as this is where the root will emerge."

Thank you John, I did not know that.
Westi
KG Regular

Hmm? Spoke too soon! Thought I would lift the fleece to raise it a bit now they are up to find all of them had been nipped off at the stem & the seeds nicked. Found the entry spot for the mice as there is a drop in the soil at the front where I dug up a wayward raspberry. I did refill but the soil has obviously compacted & dropped with me walking in & out. At least it is mice not rats as the gap is too small for a rat. Still no idea how they got under the fleece as it was well secured, but not wasting anymore seed until I can sort it & then might start them in the sunny back room as a further guarantee.
Westi
John
KG Regular

Hi Colin2016
Quite some time ago now Johnboy (is he still lurking here?) did an experiment involving planting groups of BB seeds in different positions and showed that the black scar down position gave the best germination results. He posted his results on forum but they may have been lost when old posts don't get carried over to new versions of forum.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic