Kiwano (horned melon) seeds give-away!

A member-only section allowing you to post seed swaps / requests. Please read rules before posting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Because some people mentionned that they have never heard of those, here's a little give-away for the curious amongst us! Please keep in mind that I'm sending those from the Netherlands so it may take a moment to reach your location, depending on where you are. Who wants to give them a try? I already did!

The seeds look just like cucumber seeds, which reveals their family name (cucumis).
Screenshot_20190416-185347_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190416-185347_Gallery.jpg (706.67 KiB) Viewed 9570 times

This is my first ever attempt at growing kiwano. The plants look very similar to cucumber too.
Screenshot_20190416-185413_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190416-185413_Gallery.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 9570 times

Instructions
(for as far as I know)
Keep the seeds very warm in a propagator. Kiwano loves a whole lot of warmth after germination too, but less water than cucumbers. Plant loves full sunlight and originally grows in Kalahari (Africa). Oh and they grow fast. Very fast and large in size. Growing them in a greenhouse would be perfect unless you live somewhere extremely hot.

Packages
15+ seeds (x)
15+ seeds (x)
15+ seeds (x)
Last edited by Elmigo on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am, edited 11 times in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Elmigo I would very much like to try to grow one, you have gained my interest. PM me & I'll sort out P & P with you.

I wonder if they will enjoy the Chilean cucumber my neighbour on the plot is growing for me as a bed fellow. He gave me one last year to try but I didn't save the seed like a plonker. The fruit is huge, no spines & very narrow ridges & soft skin, about 8" - 10" width and can grow to about 3' long dependent on the weather. You just cut off how much you need & the skin re-grows around it & more flesh than seeds when sliced. Taste is mildly cucumber, not as watery & a wee hint of melon & a stronger crunch. He doesn't know the name as he brought seeds back when visiting his family a few years back but it is local to where he lived.

If I am successful growing it on I will send you some seeds next year!
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Elmigo I would very much like to try...

That's a fruit I've honestly never heard of before. Would love to try those too another year! By the way, I have sent you a private message.
kindler
KG Regular

Are they still available?
I've been looking for a review on car seat guard. Now I finally found it! Looking forward to trying it. Can't wait!
Westi
KG Regular

I chatted to my Chilean friend on Sunday & he had a big fail this year but still has seeds - not many but has agreed to give me a slice of one to save the seed for next year. That is a result, but still have Kiwano seed left as well so going to try again with them - I like a challenge!
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Yes they are still available but as we're moving, I have to search for them. It may take a little longer... but they are still available!
Elmigo
KG Regular

Westi wrote:I chatted to my Chilean friend on Sunday & he had a big fail this year but still has seeds - not many but has agreed to give me a slice of one to save the seed for next year. That is a result, but still have Kiwano seed left as well so going to try again with them - I like a challenge!

Looks like we're taking on the same challenge again! I will grow them in containers of 12" x 12" x 12" in size just like last year and one plant per container. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with the new challenge. Let's keep each other updated on the kiwano / horned melon.

By the way, the winter sets in and all plants are waiting to be put in the garden. The tiny trees stay in pots (apple, pear and -if it survives- peach too). The rest will be put in the soil. I have really underestimated the amount of work but I'll definitely get to grow some in the coming spring again.

Screenshot_20191129-160246_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191129-160246_Gallery.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 8596 times
Elmigo
KG Regular

kindler wrote:Are they still available?

I found them. Send me a message and we will sort things out :mrgreen:
Primrose
KG Regular

Elmigo, bet it was a challenge moving all those pots full of plants and compost. I hope you don,t lose any of your permanent plants over winter. Your balcony was probably quite a protected area for them.
Westi
KG Regular

With you there Elmigo! When the bloke from Chilli gives me a slice of his cucumber at the end of the summer I shall definitely share with you. It is amazing how fast the skin grows over to seal off the cut bit. I'm hopeful I may get a big slice as he has acquired another greenhouse just for take away & no cost! That gives him 3 now & new one being erected is bigger than the others & he is re-designing his plot to get all of them in the right position to capture the most sun. He did a deal with the plot holder behind by changing length for width.
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

It was definitely a challenge. All plants have been put in the back of a large van up straight. There was no rope so we had to drive very slowly, annoying all other drivers in an attempt not to crash the bushes and create a soil soup in the back. I had to cut off the tip of my apple tree because it wouldn't fit. In the spring it will grow again, but here we are now.

I was slightly worried about my tropical Star Fruit (Carambola) seedling too, as it needs very specific temperature and humidity that I cannot provide. So I put a plastic bag over it to keep moisture somewhat trapped inside and to keep the temperatures a little higher. Some of the leaves dried out after driving it to the new house but it looks like it's recovering now.

Screenshot_20191130-121105_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191130-121105_Gallery.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 8560 times

Screenshot_20191130-121239_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191130-121239_Gallery.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 8560 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Sometimes I think gardeners treat their plants better than their furniture when moving! The apple tree will hopefully just think it,s had an early pruning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic