Our changing slug population

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Mouse2
KG Regular

Over the 20-so years that we have lived in our present house, the large (in both size and quantity) garden slug population has changed completely!

For years, we had the typical big black slugs, but it struck me recently that I can't remember when I last saw one. They have been completely replaced by brown slugs, and some most repulsive-looking green-ish things. Yuk.

Has anyone else seen the same thing happen?
Stephen
KG Regular

I'll look out.
It haven't noticed so far neither in my small, walled garden nor on the allotment.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Can't help. I'm afraid the slugs don't last long enough for me to observe them

IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG (3.11 MiB) Viewed 4136 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Mouse2
KG Regular

I need ducks then - though the greenish horrors are so repulsive that i find it hard to imagine that even ducks would want them! :P
Mouse2
KG Regular

I'm about to go and remove some marrow plants now that the village show is over - there are probably loads lurking under them!
Primrose
KG Regular

Our brown slug population has increased massively. I used not to remember seeing those massive big brown ones in our garden at all but when I look out on our patio in the mornings now their silvery slime trails are everywhere and the faster I despatch them, the faster they seem to increase. I think I've only once ever seen any of their eggs though which are white and buried underground, so it's difficult to prevent another generation turning up.

Another strange effect of climate change I wonder ?
alan refail
KG Regular

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

A useful guide Alan. Thanks although I suspect I may approach my next roast duck and orange salad meal with slightly less enthusiasm after reading about their diet preferences!
Mouse2
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: [...] I suspect I may approach my next roast duck and orange salad meal with slightly less enthusiasm after reading about their diet preferences!

My thoughts exactly, Primrose :D
Mouse2
KG Regular

I also keep uncovering what definitely look like strange-coloured slug eggs - a variety of colours - when I start digging over in spring.
As I haven't bought in any garden centre /nursery plants that might have the slug-egg-sized fertiliser in them, I can't think what else they could be, and when I squidge them they certainly squidge like slug eggs! :?
alan refail
KG Regular

Ducks lay the most wonderful eggs. I put their quality down to the ducks' varied diet of layers pellets, corn, grass and slugs.
Chantal
KG Regular

We don't seem to get more than the odd (always orange) slug in the garden now now. Hundreds of snails, but slugs so infrequently that I actually named the last one William. I can't kill the things, although I do sometimes rehome, but this one was massive and only came out during the wet weather. I really don't like them, but giving him a name meant I actually became quite fond of him (do I need help?). Then Sean trod on him. :? Not seen one since, and this was in the early summer.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Shallot Man
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:Can't help. I'm afraid the slugs don't last long enough for me to observe them

IMG_1838.JPG

alan. Maybe an opening here for renting out to plot holders. :wink:
retropants
KG Regular

We get lots of the big, fat orange ones. My dh was wondering where all the old fashioned grey ones have gone?
Monika
KG Regular

Like Chantal, we don't seem to have had nearly as many slugs in the garden as in previous years. Numbers of our large garden snails have also declined. We do have hedgehogs around and frogs, of course, but I don't think they are very interested in the snails or the large slugs. Is it the change in the weather?
I read today that we might be in for a rather cold winter, that should reduce their numbers even more ....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic