Summer Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

I've had 3 cucumbers up to now my tomatoes are looking very healthy but only 5 ripe ones so far ,this afternoon I will be glued to the telly it's a big day for our town and our type of rugby it's the Wembley final not a game to miss
Stravaig
KG Regular

Back home now after a holiday in the UK. We brought back four more little hydroponics units so spent this morning planting some seeds in them. I'm trying a dwarf variety of green beans among other things. It'll be nice to have fresh veg, other than root vegetables, in the winter - that's the plan anyway.

The weather now is pretty good so I'm making the most of the sun to get other things going. I'm hoping that when winter comes if I place the other potted plants near the hydroponic lights on the windowsills it'll help them to keep going.

Just about everything survived our absence as a kind lady come in to water them. The tomatoes on the south-facing balcony are doing well too. My husband counted 11 tomatoes today which will soon be ready for harvesting. That'll give you an idea of the small scale of my gardening efforts. :-) You can buy easily buy tomatoes here but home-grown ones are more satisfying.
Stephen
KG Regular

I lifted my main crop spuds this morning.
Pentland Crown.
IMG_20190824_122657.jpg
IMG_20190824_122657.jpg (5.5 MiB) Viewed 3328 times

This one nearly evaded me - 3ft off line!
PentlandCrown4.jpg
PentlandCrown4.jpg (563.17 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
peter
KG Regular

With one very pink volunteer?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Catherine
KG Regular

I sowed climbing French beans earlier this year and they looked so sickly I sowed more and more... now we are overwhelmed with them! Courgette s I sowed three, nothing, three more, nothing happened so I sowed three more, now I have 9 courgette plants producing quite a few courgetted, oh and a green marrow from one that I missed. Not complaining but our beetroots have come to a sad end. Onions looking good, hopefully they wont be stolen from the polytunnel where they are drying. We had our shed broken into three times this year! So this year for the first time in 19 years I have lost my mojo. :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Catherine, no wonder you have lost your mojo but, never let the low life of this world, win. Hopefully next year will be back to normal for you.

Nice to see you back on the forum again.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Peter, with two errant red volunteers!
Stephen
KG Regular

Catherine
Yes, a break-in is pretty dispiriting, let alone 3. How very infuriating, annoying, enraging. Pick the emotion to suit. I feel for you.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers but I only picked some fresh jalapeño and cayenna beauties from the tree of fire. I believe it was located somewhere in the Amazone. Not sure why, it just seems to be burning hot in that area ever since.
Westi
KG Regular

Elmigo, Hopefully you are referring to the tragedy happening in the Rain Forests in Brazil & not your super hot chillies! I've finger pointed at the TV loads & today said you are a Total Prick of a nation to allow this to happen, but I know there are people out there who are fighting with their voice lost! FFS! The one place that we need to protect our planet is going down the drain! Why is no super nation not stepping in?
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Been working down in Woburn this morning, the garden is a sun trap and by the heck it was hot.....not sorry when I had finished!
Just been and harvested beetroot, lettuce, tomatoes and a nice cucumber, for supper....quite surprised cook hadn't got a good stew on the go.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

We had some fog/sea mist early on so decided to get a few winter salad sowings in & do some weeding in the tunnel. Probably less than a 1/2hr then it lifted but I soldiered on until it hit 39.2 but that was it, soaking wet with sweat I decided to take on a less challenging job & rake up the windfall fruit. Dodging the wasps was child's play compared to melting! (Well I didn't get stung at least, but a lot of ducking & diving & snagging on the branches)! :) :)
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Winter squashes. Previously grown sweet dumplings some years ago but have one butternut squash plant this year. It only has one viable decent sized fruit on it. All the others seem to have slowly rotted or shrivelled and died. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Plant has been kept well watered.
Diane
KG Regular

Had a lovely afternoon yesterday. Sun was shining, everyone smiling and chatting - we went to a - https://www.edenprojectcommunities.com/ ... chhomepage

Organised by one of our neighbours. Well recommended. I now know the names of at least 4 more people - who, previously, I've just waved to and wondered if they were friendly or not. They are.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
retropants
KG Regular

what a lovely idea Diane! A nice way to spend an afternoon.
On a separate note, I have managed to keep my hanging basket tomatoes alive, and they are cropping well. They are yellow pearl, I would have preferred red, but I was a little late to the party, and there were none left. I was also gifted a red beefsteak tomato plant, but it turned out to be a yellow salad tomato. It was from my mum's new neighbour in Dorset, and she is a bit disorganised. :) So, all yellow this year, looks a bit odd in the fridge, as I usually have a selection, but hey ho!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic