Growing tumeric!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

It was my fathers idea, putting tumeric roots in the soil to watch them grow. Next year I will have a pot filled with tumeric roots. When needed I can dig it up, cut off a piece and put the rest back in the soil to grow more. I found that tumeric is also very ornamenal with its fine soft green leaves. It takes a while for the first greens to show up above the ground, but once it shows the plant grows very fast! We grow it indoors, it's still a tropical.

Screenshot_20190811-111949_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190811-111949_Gallery.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 3822 times
Last edited by Elmigo on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You never fail to amaze me, Elmigo, and your posts and pictures make the forum a far better place....so please keep up the good work.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Thank you so much! I try to share all experiments when I have time and I hope some are inspiring and new for others too. I think what Westi once said was right, my motto could be "Grow anything, anywhere!" :lol:

Perhaps I'll try ginger roots too!
Stephen
KG Regular

I don't know if you can get BBC programmes in the Netherlands but tumeric was mentioned on Gardeners' Question Time 9 August
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007djv Scroll down and it is 23 minutes in.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

So apparently tumeric is kept as a houseplant more often than I thought, that's amazing! (Yes I can get BBC here too) and it's also very well possible in the UK to grow indoors.

This is my fathers' tumeric which was put in the soil a bit earlier this year. Like mentionned in the radio clip, very ornamental too!

Screenshot_20190811-181852_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190811-181852_Gallery.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3766 times
Stephen
KG Regular

That's great. I'm not into house plants myself but it interesting to see what other people do.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I really like that as a plant Elmigo, very attractive & not too big. Hmm, might look into that as real turmeric is nothing like the shop bought. I have had my ginger in the greenhouse, just sitting there looking at me but in just the last couple of weeks it has got itself a green shoot, after about 3 months! I'm not hopeful for any sort of crop but I will take it down to lottie & put it in the tunnel over winter where the fluctuations will be less as the greenhouse is not heated.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

that looks like a lovely houseplant Elmigo! I might try one myself.
Elmigo
KG Regular

When my father tried to grow ginger roots it started rotting away. Apparently it needs less moisture? I have no idea but it's been said that ginger is a little more difficult than tumeric.

Oh yes, definitely try tumeric as a houseplant!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic