Turnip harvesting advice

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ilknur
KG Regular

This is the first year I'm growing turnips. I've been harvesting as I needed them, and my chickens love the turnip leaves but I still have a lot in my raise beds. The advice from RHS is leave them in but protect from hard frost and use as and when needed. Would they not go woody if left in the ground too long?

Same with beetroot - do I leave them in and cover them well?

There were few times I lifted more turnips than I thought I needed. I noticed that they soften and not stay hard and crisp if not used soon. The ones I've lifted are about a tennis ball size. Is it because they need "curing" as in left outside to toughen up their skin? Or do they need curing?

Thanks in advance for any insights you may provide.
robo
KG Regular

What type are your turnips ,beetroot could go woodey but they can also grow very large
Westi
KG Regular

Hi ilknur!

I keep both my turnips & beetroot in overwinter, they don't continue to grow until spring comes again then they try to grow & produce a seed stalk, so I take as I need before then. But as you notice I am a long way from where you live, but they still get a mesh cover. Don't be tempted to mulch them with straw or anything or the slugs will get the lot but I'd go for a fairly heavy weight fleece.

Just be patient & wait until someone closer to your area replies with more specific details of their methods of protection & varieties that store well.
Westi
ilknur
KG Regular

Hi again,
My beetroots are Chioggia from Suttons - they are the ones with red rings with white flesh. (https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Veg ... 12bc610a45)

My turnips are the Snowball variety that came with KG magazine.

The beets are rather very large but still very tasty. The turnips leaves are turning yellow. They certainly are not as luscious green vibrant leaves as before. I am growing both in raised beds (about 3 sleepers high, ~60 cm off the ground) but on another bed, I do see slugs on my lettuce so height is no deterrent for slugs.

Thanks for the advice re mulch.

I've already pickled turnips with the beets. They look pretty with pink rings and turns the vinegar deep pink. Hoping they pickle well... Few weeks to go before I try them :)

Will check back for more responses. Thanks again for all your input.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic