onions

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Hi all,
I have some onion setts left over, is it too late to plant them ?
I'm hoping not
Rhubarbstick
Elmigo
KG Regular

It's a little late but I did it last month anyway. Maybe it will become something, maybe not. I think it depends on the variety. Spring onions are still very well possible! Or well, in our climate. What variety of onions do you want to plant?
Last edited by Elmigo on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Thanks for yor reply Elmigo, they are Stuttgarter.
Westi
KG Regular

Definitely! Too late for a decent sized onion but if you have the space maybe try as an experiment. Set's you generally overwinter as they have been heat treated, to stand over the worst weather & from seed sown indoors around January time, but the harvest is later, so a long grow period for both. I'm surprised your sets haven't tried to shoot, rotted & dried out! I always have some left over in the bag I buy & they were binned weeks ago as dried out & shoots all stuck in the netting.
Westi
Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Thanks Westi. I've now chucked 'em. I'm very much a raw beginner to veg growing.
Rhubarbstick
Westi
KG Regular

Well Rhubarbstick, we all had to start somewhere! I asked the most inane questions on here when I started growing - some total disasters & some fortunate gains to begin with & learnt all the time from these disasters & from the lovely people on here being patient & teaching me the right things.

Just post away anything that you'd like to know or that puzzles you & never be afraid, the knowledge these guys have is immense & tweekable to your budget! For a start they will never tell you to plant a slice of tomato like on uTube & have 50 plants of the same variety, they know it could work but wouldn't suggest it as they are growing themselves (for decades in some instances), & in all sorts of places & a lot up North where you are so understand your weather. At the end of the day nature rules, you win & you loose! I'm having a loose year so my current motto is 'Sow, sow & sow again'! I'm only just getting peas & broad beans but wouldn't have any if caved to nature - I think I'm trying to say is persevere through the good & bad - it is never a total disaster so harvest what you have & don't morn over what you haven't!
Westi
Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Thanks for the encouragement Westi. My biggest problem at the moment is wind (not mine!). The potato tops to my mind are huge and getting bashed about somewhat. I just hope that there is something growing down below in the buckets.
Westi
KG Regular

Spuds are hardier than they look & they expend as much energy under as above & will shrug off a few wind burnt leaves to focus on the tubers. Good luck & remember this lesson they have taught you so you consider the planting next year & what you can do to slow the wind down.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic