Radish glutton!

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ilknur
KG Regular

I may have gone a bit overboard with sowing radishes! Now I've got more than I need - not sure what to do with them!

Any recipes?
robo
KG Regular

Radish is one of the things I grow that very rarely leave the plot ,I love crunching them while waiting for the tea to cool
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Ilknur,
pickle them! There are lots of ways to do this so look up some recipes on the internet. If you have a food slicer/processor it will be really easy to slice or grate them.
Regards Sally Wright.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Never had that problem, bit like robo we both eat them faster than they can grow, though I do sow short rows in between everything else in succession.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

That is a problem I would like to have. I love them, especially French Breakfast. I will often have a handful with my breakfast Bovril on toast in an attempt to get my Five A Day
If we have a surplus I will sometimes slice them and serve as a side salad with a drop of vinaigrette dressing to a cheesy omelette or something light like that.

Send them here. Happy to solve your glut problem!!
Westi
KG Regular

Hi ilknur,

They are lovely roasted, I was sceptical but really does turn them into a different vegetable altogether! Mostly though it is just finding one that isn't nibbled & or bolted in a salad, but they are having a great year on my plot. I am also growing the Watermelon (Chinese) radish this year after I saw it on a recipe site - it is white on the outside & red in the middle & those are from their heritage good in stir fries & the like but some creative recipes out their if you search. They are slower growing though than our traditional radish but looking fine.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I used to grow Daikon / Mouli which are the long white skinned ones as long as a cucumber and which are delicious cut into fine strips and used in stir fries. Haven't grown them for ages. Don't really know why because they're a useful vegetable. Must give them another try. Have never heard of the Watermelon radish. Is it a sort of Mouli variety?
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose!

My Mouli is big carrot size so I took one! I grate it into salads as it has the cold, crisp taste like cucumber, as well as stir fry it. The others will stay in the ground until bigger & I may sow some more. The Watermelon radish are just like our standard radish but inside out colour wise, but the recipes I found it in were pretty much salad or stir fry with the odd stew type thing, & it does look pretty on the plate! It is so much slower growing than our standard radish to date & I had 2 sowings of standard radish harvests while these are just tinkey tiny still! Maybe weather, maybe their natural growing pattern? I never found out much on the net of them growing here in the UK.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic