conference pears

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jeff64
KG Regular

For 3 years now I have only had a couple of pears on the tree after blossoming, plenty of blossom and plenty of fruit but it all falls off.
Can anyone tell me what i am doing, the tree is about five year old :?:
Westi
KG Regular

I've never had too many pears on mine Jeff, but it got scab in about it's 5th year & I've been fighting it ever since. It gets fruit but always with one (mostly lots more) branch dying off or producing fruit with black pits in the flesh. Might have cracked it this year but early days still. Part of my regime to save the pear as too big to dig out & replace, is obviously cutting out the affected branches & sealing the wounds, but I give it extra attention with a wee feed & a huge water every few weeks, which I think it appreciates.

I know doesn't really answer your question, just re-enforces that they are a long time investment.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I planted one in 2014 I was that impressed I bought another from the same place ( off amazon) that is in its second year the last two years I've had loads of pears the only thing is they do not store for very long sorry it doesn't help you jeff
Geoff
KG Regular

At five years old it is on the borderline of when you would expect a pear to bear fruit, I think four to six years is often quoted. Conference is one of the pears that is usually listed as self fertile but does better if there is another pollinating variety nearby. Lastly, if it had decided this year was the time to start fruiting it might have been put off by the early season dryness. You plant pears for your heirs but hopefully it will get its act together before then.
jeff64
KG Regular

Thanks for the lnfo., I'll see what happens next year.
thanks again Jeff
robo
KG Regular

Plums and cherries are my problem , we have two plum bushes come trees one was given to me by my daughter it is supposed to be a patio plum it's now around 12 feet high ,on the two trees I think I can see three little plums ,we have three cherry trees we normally get a few but not many leave the plot this year I can see around six cherries
KG Steve
KG Editor

My Conference pear usually fruits really well. It is fan-trained against a west wall and seems to like the heat that radiates from it (when we get some sun!). This year however it has lost lots of fruitlets - more than usual perhaps - during the normal June drop - the process whereby apples and pears lose some of the fruit to ensure that it has enough energy to carry the rest to maturity. I've put this down to the weather and to the fact that it carried a large crop last year.
Your tree is still young and you wouldn't expect large crops for a few years yet. Hopefully it will gradually build up as the tree matures. As Geoff says it will set fruit on its own, but would be better with a partner to aid pollination. Mine is a lone tree and while it usually sets well, some of the fruit is a bit misshapen due to incomplete pollination. I might treat it to a friend in the autumn.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic