pain in the thumb

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

I've been getting a bad pain in my right thumb - making it difficulty to hold the trowels and dibbers etc. and was thinking I need a thumb splint or something. (it's probably thumb arthritis caused by decades of knitting and crochet and digging little holes in the garden with the trowel). Anyone here have this problem? Anyone use a thumb splint? I'll probably need to see the doc at some time about it but thought I'd try self help first.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

Sorry Diane I have arthritis in my hands ,knees ,feet and shoulder ,I sometimes get a bit in my thumbs but not enough to stop me working
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Another one with aches everywhere except my thumbs, hope you find something.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Arthritis is a scourge for those of us getting older- whichever part of the body it occurs in. Somebody recommended Voltorol gel to me for arthritic knee pain. - not the ordinary version but the 12 hour version containing Diclofenac diethylamonium (whatever that is). It,s expensive - about £12 a tube if not on prescription but it has given me some pain relief. Obviously don,t use if you're allergic to diclofenac, aspirin or other NSAIDS but perhaps worth a try first if it's as hard to get a GP appointment in your neck of the woods as it is here.

Have you tried ice packs on it to relieve the pain? Guess you may have to ease off the knitting and crocheting for a while to see if the pain eases off. I suppose using a trowel with the "wrong" hand isn,t a very easy option?

As an aside, I had very painful plantar facitiis (foot tendon inflammation) for about 9 months last year. All the usual exercises, deep massage, ultrasound and having it strapped with elastic tape failed to improve the condition at all. As a last resort my physio suggested acupuncture. She gave me one session a week for three weeks and it completely cleared it up. What works for one person doesn,t necessarily work for somebody else. I guess the level of pain you're in sometimes forces you to seek alternative solutions. Hope you find something which works.
robo
KG Regular

I tried voltorol I was wobbling and throwing up for two days then realized what was causing it ,I won't go near it now
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Diane,

Why don't you just pop into your local pharmacy for an opinion & recommendation. Most have had extra training to diagnose & treat routine conditions. Of course they can't write you a NHS prescription, but can certainly point out which of their products would help & will have splints as well.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I occasionally get a similar pain in my left thumb (though I am right handed) and I treat it with one or two applications of ibuprofen ointment and that seems to cure it - till the next time, luckily usually two or three months away. But I agree with Westi: let a pharmacist advise you.
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you all for your excellent advice. Much appreciated. I will go to the pharmacy tomorrow and see what they suggest. I don't want to give up my crochet so I'm very anxious to get sorted out.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
retropants
KG Regular

Diane, My mother had similar and also carpal tunnel at the same time. Turned out she needed a trapeziotomy, removal of the trapezoid bone at the base of the thumb. Before the surgery, she couldn't even hold a cup of tea. She is now back to full function. Hopefully it's nothing like that, hopefully the pharmacist can help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic