Fish, blood and bone

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Can FBB in powder form be used as a feed from a watering can, if so what quantity per gallon of water ?
Thank you,

Rhubarbstick
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have never tried, it's a slow release, so not sure what you would gain and I doubt it would be soluble and might block the watering can rose.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

I should have added that all my veg's are grown in 3 gallon buckets so there's little or no space to spread powdered fertiliser about.

Rhubarbstick
Geoff
KG Regular

I agree FBB wouldn't go through a rose. I'd try either https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/prod ... ertiliser/ for general feeding or https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/prod ... -te-1-2-3/ for high potash like fruit and flowers (much cheaper than tomato fertiliser for the same analysis).
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I use FBB as a top dressing in pots, I just loosen the surface of the soil and then rake the feed in(I have some tiny plant pot someone bought me for a gift).
Primrose
KG Regular

Strangely I don't think I,ve ever used this. Would it be suitable for sprinkling all over my vegetable patch? I never got round to putting a top dressing of compost from my compost heap on the surface last winter somsuspect it's nutrient content this year will be lower.
What you do do with it? Just sprinkle on the surface and either gently fork it in or let the rain wash it in?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I rake it into the surface, then let the weather take it down to the roots.
Rhubarbstick
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies, I wonder that the best thing for my situation could be either Phostrogen or Miracle -Gro. Any thoughts on which may be more suitable ?
Geoff
KG Regular

Depends what you are growing but I think Phostrogen is better, the Elixir flower product is effective and cheaper.
Gerry
KG Regular

I used to use FBB when planting shrubs etc but found that the fox dug every plant up. Well at least I presume it was foxes.
Diane
KG Regular

I give all the shrubs in the borders a sprinkle in the spring and ruffle it in and add a small handful to the potted shrubs and hostas, etc.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic