hose pipes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

If anybody is in the same position as ourselves of having to pump water from our 2000 gallon store tanks it might be of interest that this week Aldi have 2 KW 4-stroke generators for sale at £149.99 to run our pumping system. Previous low-cost generators were all 2-stroke. We had to have a similar Honda generator about 20 years ago, cost £300 when money was more valuable than it is today, that now serves residential duties.
e-Mail me privately if you want more details.
Back to hosepipes
Allan
Last edited by Allan on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carole B.
KG Regular

A letter in the local paper this week pleaded for joined up thinking from government and water companies alike,the gist was that having spent millions trying to get us all on '5 a day' it is then the very people who have responded to the call and grow a lot of their own healthy food (no air miles at all)who are penalised when by a hosepipe ban whilst you can still wash down hard landscaping,driveways and greenhouse glass but not plants!
David
KG Regular

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek as you probably realised and I do feel sorry for folks affected by bans and restrictions.

Certainly someone in the midlands or west who makes free with a hose to protect their crops isnt affecting in any way someone in Kent who cant. Similarly changing the law so that my daughter cant have her pool or the car wash is put out of business wont impress the authorities enough for them to allow you to get your hose out again.

More restriction is not the way, investment is.

The next time it rains (joke)and you cant get on the plot take half an hour to write to Tony Blair directly at Downing Street and however simply you put it tell him we dont want more roads, mega shopping centres, bullets or bombs - we want more water and fresh food.

In my opinion the government should act now to force the water companies to act and then produce a medium to long term investment plan just the same as they do with the military to protect and enhance our water supply.

That's my opinion for what its worth if you have one I'd like to hear it but more important than me hearing it is that the government hears it.

Phew, I'm off for a sit down now.........

David
Glory B
KG Regular

Yes I do aplogise David....I suppose you could say I used your post as a springboard to vent my feelings.
The bottom line is that Richard's post showed a complete lack of consideration regarding those of us less fortunate in the water stakes.
However, another apology.....just read your post again....I hadn't realised that the 1800 gallons was being used specifically for crop protection.

Interesting point Carole....but is this government really interested in us 'growing our own' 5 a day?
I think that was aimed at us buying more of the poisonous supermarket crap that's on offer. More money for them.....not to worry that we're all (I firmly believe) slowly but surely being killed off in the process!

Good idea David....as soon as it rains I shall most definitely be writing to blair. (Sorry, but don't have enough respect for the man to use a capital letter)

Regards,
Glory B
David
KG Regular

No need to apologise Glory nothing wrong with a bit of passion in these debates and I rather enjoyed being a springboard.

I have no respect for blair either, in many ways the country is a mess but its still a wonderful island and for the most part we enjoy many freedoms and a high quality of life but at the very lowest level we should protect our right to clean water and fresh food.

If we remind him of that duty he cant say he didnt know.......

David
Glory B
KG Regular

David wrote:No need to apologise Glory nothing wrong with a bit of passion in these debates and I rather enjoyed being a springboard.

:lol: :lol: wonderful!

Glory B
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic