Spring proper, Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

I'm sorry, I think it might be my fault. I washed the front door and window sills on Monday. It hasn't stopped since. I was trapped in my car for 15 minutes yesterday, due to an on/off hailstorm with lightning!
Westi
KG Regular

But on the positive - the weather seems to be getting in tune with the month by the weekend. How I regret the winter to summer lottie wardrobe change over - fortunately never got to sorting the coat rack in the porch as actually needed the fake fur lined fleece quite a bit to date even if not for the whole visit to the plot.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We have had more snow round here, on the hill tops, but the wind is bitter cold, 5 degrees overnight inside the greenhouse still, so all my tender plants are taking over the conservatory.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

https://youtu.be/j-aRlLlDhhY
How to grow Zucchini vertically. One for Elmigo perhaps or anybody with restricted growing space?

Has anybody ever tried this method? I know Monty has tried it for growing smaller winter squashes. The problem with zucchini is that if you don,t keep a watchful eye on them they turn into heavy marrows almost overnight and this would probably wreck the plant. However they might be spotted more easily growing in an upright position
alan refail
KG Regular

Beautiful sunny day here, but a couple of very cold nights forecast. Once they're past it will be good weather to plant up the tomato bed in the polytunnel, sow cucumbers and beans and courgettes and a few other things. We seem to be getting tied up with hatching otherwise - see link below

https://forum.kitchengarden.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=149840#p149840
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

I grow the upright Zucchini (or Courgettes) that don't trail & get huge crops & wouldn't let them get that big before harvesting! I am thinking of one of those A frame type things for the smaller squash but I am edging toward a half A against the fence. Only concern is some will go over to the neighbours. Do the rules about them taking the fruit but not allowed to damage the plant count on allotments or do I have to choose the correct neighbour & make a deal? I have a deal already with one neighbour regarding Plum Beauty which is heaving with fruitlets this year - they tolerate the intrusion for the fruit that overhangs their side & I nick all the nice broken down compost that falls through my side from their compost bins. Unfortunately that side is the hard fruit so not enough sun for the squash! Maybe next year?
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I went down the plot this morning it was sunny but there was an east wind blowing making it a tad chilly ,I decided to make a cup of tea there wasn't any one else there it was nice and quiet ,I was enjoying the peace and quiet when I noticed the buzzing of the bee's I have never heard so many for years at the same time I was watching a pair of bluetits flying in and out of one of the nesting box's I've put up ,then a swallow or swift flew by just a bit to high to decide which one it was a perfect half hour
Primrose
KG Regular

Robo, I think your comments explain perfectly why gardening and related outdoor activities are now being prescribed for the improvement or prevention of mental health issues. . In my view there are few problems which don't feel somewhat better after after some productive time spent outdoors, communing with nature, washed down afterwards with a welcome cup of tea or coffee!
robo
KG Regular

Primrose ,my wife said a few times I'm a nutter maybe there's something I've never realised
Clive.
KG Regular

Most mornings now I step out the back door at home to be greeted by the sound of a Skylark, a sound absent for some years.

This morning against the grey sky I spotted the lark, flittering up and down then rapidly descending.

Our house was named Larkrise by mum and dad when they had it built in the 1950s, although never officially so and we never got a name plaque made so we're just a number...but with larks once again... :)

Clive.
Gerry
KG Regular

That's great news Clive. I often moan about not having seen, or heard, the Sky Lark for so many years. A great reminder of my childhood. Thanks.

Gerry.
Stephen
KG Regular

Most mornings now I step out the back door at home to be greeted by the sound of a Skylark,

Now that is a treat!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

and this morning can add the sound and sight of a Dakota and a Nanchang CJ6 :)....although did enjoy the Skylark once more at 7:20am...bright blue sky so couldn't see it today.

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That has made me smile, Clive.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Having a Radio, Radeo day today.. Listening to Radio Caroline North from Ross Revenge on 648Khz am...and have got the posts, wire and sticks (canes) up at the radeo pea row. :)

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic