New kids on the block - New birds in the flock

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

Job well done!
Two new broody coops delivered today as promised. Set up in field. Carried the two broodies down without getting pecked. One of them sitting eleven blue eggs, Cream Legbar and Araucana, the other on eleven white eggs, Exchequer Leghorn and Lackenfelder. Now three weeks to wait for results.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We are expecting good things, Alan....I bet you can hardly wait for the new arrivals.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Twenty-one days to wait, OH, but I'm sure when we get results there'll be plenty of photos ;-)
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Alan, what will you do with the Male chicks....meat or sell them on as Cockerels?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Ah - chicken sexing, there's a potential thread.
robo
KG Regular

I've lost two chickens in the last two days one was one of the new ones given to me ,as I was walking from the plot to the car park one of my fellow plotters told me the reason the two chickens were separated from the other three was John the guy who died thought they were unwell
alan refail
KG Regular

Our two broodies settled in. Barred Plymouth Rock, Blackrock (and a guard cat!!)

IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1778.JPG (2.92 MiB) Viewed 3790 times
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3790 times
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 3790 times
alan refail
KG Regular

The new Black Copper Marans have now moved in with Gwilym and the Cream Legbar hens since we got a new larger house yesterday.

IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG (2.95 MiB) Viewed 3788 times
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG (4.16 MiB) Viewed 3788 times
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG (4.15 MiB) Viewed 3788 times
alan refail
KG Regular

And still they come!

Son went over to see his poultry seller mate on Anglesey this morning. Just to check up if the ducks he wanted were there. He said he would definitely bring no more hens back. The ducks were not available so he did bring three more hens, but he is forgiven because one of them is a beautiful year-old Buff Orpington - a breed I've never had.
IMG_1796.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG (3.79 MiB) Viewed 3745 times
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG (4.4 MiB) Viewed 3745 times
robo
KG Regular

Nice looking chickens alan ,I lost another yesterday and one more is not looking good ,seems the two I rehomed when the guy on our allotment died were suffering with a disease I've lost five in four weeks one was a blue egg layer it's upsetting
alan refail
KG Regular

You're not having much luck. Are you sure that your kindness in rehoming hasn't introduced birds with an infestation of mites?
robo
KG Regular

I spray for mites regularly and put fullers earth down
Last edited by robo on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
KG Regular

:lol:
"definitely no more hens"
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

alan refail Nice chicken coop. Should that be a chipboard floor, suggest you raise it a couple of inches, you need a draft underneath to stop the floor rotting. :wink:
alan refail
KG Regular

Fear not Shallot man, no chipboard round here and all our houses are off the ground.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic