Kiwano (horned melon)

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

Elmigo they look very healthy please keep us updated I'm very interested
Elmigo
KG Regular

Stephen wrote:I try to look at all the posts.
I hope you get some fruit.

May take a while. I am hoping too!
Westi
KG Regular

Well done Elmigo, they look perfectly happy & growing well! I look forward to your updates on these & especially seeing the fruit. Are you growing anything else unusual to share with us? Post us some pics of your plot /growing space as it gets going, I'm sure we will spot something we know little about especially about the techniques, structures & supports used.

I'm glad you are posting as you are closer to us & what works for you will have more credibility than the stuff on line which is not on the same latitude normally.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

How big is the pot? . With all the canes in there it looks set for a permanent planting arrangement and I'm wondering whether it's big enough? Obviously not sure how bulky and tall they grow. Do you have more than one seedling in there? It's a bit difficult to tell from the photo.
Last edited by Primrose on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Are you growing anything else unusual to share with us? Post us some pics...

Actually I don't even have a garden plot and I consider myself to still be a bit of an amateur. Everything grows pretty much in containers on the balcony. Lettuce, carrots, blueberries, gooseberries, strawberries, even an apple tree, peach tree, beans, some kale in a large container...

Edit:
Now that I think about it, I also got some pitahaya (dragon fruit) catcusses that sprouted, coming from a store bought fruit last christmas. It's beautiful and may take a few years to set fruit, if it survives untill then. This is what they look like after about one and a half month. The largest cactus part is about 1 cm.

Screenshot_20190409-225528_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190409-225528_Gallery.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 5576 times

Primrose wrote:How big is the pot?

30 x 30 x 30 (cm) is the size of the pots. Honestly I have no idea whether that's too small or not. There are 3 plants growing in it and I sort of have it set up permanently. Do you think they need more space? I can still remove the middle one if necessary. Sources on the internet say they need full sunlight but my gut says it will cause the leaves to burn behind glass.
Westi
KG Regular

Awe they look so cute. I hope you are successful with them, that would be an achievement. Do they have allotments where you are? You've got the bug obviously so I think having some land would make you a very happy bunny & we would be learning loads from you about these different things. Have you got an old neighbour with a big garden that would like some help to maintain it & let you grow some veg in return?
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Awe they look so cute. I hope you are successful with them, that would be an achievement. Do they have allotments where you are? You've got the bug obviously so I think having some land would make you a very happy bunny & we would be learning loads from you about these different things. Have you got an old neighbour with a big garden that would like some help to maintain it & let you grow some veg in return?

As far as I'm concerned dragon fruit cannot grow in our maritime conditions with cold winters. Or well, not outdoors. Unfortunately I don't know a lot of people in general around here, may want to have a look at community gardens anytime soon. Let's just say that time will create heaven! Hope I can learn a lot from others around here too. Have been looking around a lot to see how the other people have their kitchen garden set up.
Westi
KG Regular

Worth thinking about or joining some renegade groups that find little unused bits of land & just take it over - usually with a few flowers to start. How strong is your roof - another option??
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

20190415_233452.jpg
20190415_233452.jpg (5.56 MiB) Viewed 5475 times

My first attempt kiwano plants are doing great! Think they need a little more sunlight as they become larger and ask for more. I also grow melons and cucumbers but kiwano appears to grow so much faster! Absolutely love this plant, hope for the best :mrgreen:
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey they really do take off, which indicates they are quite happy. Looking forward to your updates on this.
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Kiwanos' growth is massive! How do people even tame these wild ones? I can already feel this getting out of hand real quick. Do people just cut the top off their cucumber or melon plants to stop their growth? Does that even help? Don't want these big guys to take over the walls and ceiling too :lol:

They are now barely even two months old, so they still have another 5 months to grow before setting fruit! Maybe I'll just grow them back down again?

20190425_105624.jpg
20190425_105624.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 5071 times

Edit: replaced photo with newer one.
Last edited by Elmigo on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Elmigo, for getting this topic into the Kitchen Garden Magzine.....very nice to see a new member do this and well deserved too.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Kiwano lovers! Today it's official, these 3 horned melons are getting massive. I started to grow them sideways but I also discovered something I haven't seen before, as the inexperienced cucumis plant family gardener that I am...

Screenshot_20190429-184747_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190429-184747_Gallery.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5044 times

They started growing side shoots too, just above the leaves. Those side shoots are also creating tendrils so kiwano might become uncontrollable when left unattended! I might cut some off and leave others to keep the plant balanced but I'm also really tempted to leave them all on and watch how large it can get 8)

Screenshot_20190429-184802_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190429-184802_Gallery.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 5044 times
Westi
KG Regular

No need for curtains at yours then - lucky you're not on the ground floor! :) They do look much nicer though; but you may need to get a machete to get into your apartment at the rate these guys are growing. You kind of need to get them outside & have some of that pigeon netting secured to your patio gap - they'd love that climbing frame!
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

You're right. Hehe I'd love to finally use that sharp thing for once! It's been catching dust for years.

I just fear that the outdoor temperatures may do some damage, as there's no option for a greenhouse here. Got a few large climbing racks that I can screw on the wall or fence though... Do you grow cucumbers outdoors during summer, or still in the greenhouse?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic