Early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So glad the veg growng at home is working out, Monika, sounds as if you are in full control.....

What a very strong, positive Grandson you have, Monika, I shall leave it at that......
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Monika, that's sad news about your grandson. He is too young. It will be hard to remain cheerful when you know what fate awaits his family but i guess you just have to make the most of what time is left.
Yes it probably feel strange being without the allotment but at least you seem to be growing enough vegetables in your garden to be keeping your hands in !
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Monica
I'm sorry to hear about your grandson. It will be hard to remain cheerful but do your best, which I am sure you will.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

Hi Monica,,what a brave lad I hope you can follow his lead it's not easy but keep going the best you can
Diane
KG Regular

Brave lad - very sorry to hear your news.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Stephen
KG Regular

The forecast is that the temperature will drop below zero tonight and only reach single figures tomorrow. Brrr.
robo
KG Regular

Our forecast is not bad it gets down to 1deg. at seven in the morning but giving gale force winds sat an sun when I planned a boat trip fishing
Monika
KG Regular

-3C last night outside and 0C in the slightly heated greenhouse where it is now approaching 30C, even with the flaps and doors open - crazy. Glad I brought the tomato, chilli and sweet pepper plants into the house overnight because one of our neighbours lost all his tomatoes last night in his sunny but unheated conservatory! Even colder nights to come!!!!!

Thanks for all your kind comments on my grandson's illness. He has now shaved his head (because the hair was falling out in lumps) and is wearing some very jolly and colourful hats!
Primrose
KG Regular

Monika, your grandson is to be greatly admired for his courage. To lose your hair at any age for whatever reason is disconcerting, but to do so in the prime of youth is doubly disconcerting. Seeing a different image of yourself in the mirror every morning must take some getting used to.
Stephen
KG Regular

I did a decent painting job on the front door but have made a really shoddy job on some old (12yo or more) garden furniture, runs and splodges in a variety of places.
I should have taken the wooden battens off the steel frame, painted them and put them back. But that would have almost certainly lead to the ends no longer lining up perfectly.
Geoff
KG Regular

Worst frost of the current run last night. Most nights have seen a dip of an hour or so but freezing for 8 hours last night several hours at minus two and an hour of minus three. Tulips were hanging their heads for the first time but recovering quickly in the sunshine.

PS : if any of you look at my weather data don't blame me for the poor display, IBM seem to be "upgrading" Wunderground pretty disastrously.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Another sharp frost here, too, have a lot of freshly potted-up perrenials, that have put some good, but tender growth on, so I have to keep fleecing them up.

Just planted another 2 rows of potatoes.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Just 4C at this moment (8pm) and a cloudless sky, so it looks like another very frosty night. Our six large potato pots are outside covered with bubble plastic and two layers of 30gm fleece because two nights ago, covered with just the fleece, some of the leaf tips were scorched by the frost. I have even taken our trays of hardy annual seedlings into the greenhouse and the tomatoes and peppers are safely in our cool hall! Better safe than sorry!
jeff64
KG Regular

Talking of frost, my grapevine had about 4 inch of side shoots on but not anymore,the frost has killed them off,anyone know if it will come back or is that it for this year.
Primrose
KG Regular

Jeff, I suspect you may be lucky with your vine and get some new shoots growing when the weather has warmed up. Grape vines, like weeds, seem to find it impossible to stop growing!
Locked Previous topicNext topic