When it all gets a bit a struggle

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I started trying to weed my vegetable plot today and found I just couldn't raise the energy due to ongoing physical issues.

I m loath to give it up but I need some strategies to keep it going with less physical effort.
I do have another border where I grow tomatoes, climbing bens and salad crops which I intend to keep going as long as possible as these are my staple items.

Any hints from anybody else who has had similar problems?

I could grass part of it over once existing leeks and garlic have finished and reincorporate it Into the with existing lawn for ease of maintenance but wonder whether a ground covering crop like winter squash would at least save me some summer weeding? What I really need is a strategy for suppressing the weeds and reducing maintenance.

Raised beds are not on my agenda.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I know it would be a biggish job to start with Primrose but, could you put a good quality ground fabric down and top with a small grade bark! Then if you ever want, you could cut a small hole through the fabric and still plant a few things.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I grow through cardboard ,it keeps weeds at bay rots down over the year and makes a decent compost ,I must admit mine does not look great but it is on the plot I'm sure if you fitted it neater it would look a lot better
peter
KG Regular

I find the weeds grow through squash unless you use membrane and plant through holes.
Membrane needs weights to keep it on the ground, I use metal poles rolled up in each end, pallets dotted around the 10m.length and strips of old carpet along the edges.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
retropants
KG Regular

my dad fitted a trowel to the end of a broom handle for my mum, so that she can still weed when her neck is bothering her. She digs them up ( standing the whole time) and shoos them out of the way with the end of the trowel to be picked up later.
robo
KG Regular

I used to fit a 2inch paint scrapper to a long brush steel ,I found the sharp thin blade of the scrapper was far more effective than a hoe.
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Primrose
I'm sorry to hear of your low energy levels.
From your description it is tiredness not bending which is a problem, so energy sapping activity like digging is the challenge rather than weeding or picking. I guess endurance is an issue but can you manage spurts of activity?
(BTW: I have learnt that the "no dig" method of Charles Dowding is not any less physically demanding that traditional cultivation in soil)

Do you think the answer lies in different tools or a different style of gardening?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Diane
KG Regular

I sympathize.....I have done away with two of our borders altogether and just squished everything together. It's a big relief to me and more manageable.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic