Confused?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Had a strange letter from the council today. I live in Christchurch, Dorset & we are merging with Bournemouth & Poole, along with any town or village to the south of the county. Now letter says site will be responsibility of the next Dorset community & in the merger as well, & not under control of the merged council? How does that work? Are they just fobbing off wee responsibilities to satisfy those that had to merge? Can't be interested? What are the consequences? Fees are set until 2020 & rules - then they will take over & do what they wish after that.

Issue is our Committee is really cool & realises they have to move forward & accept different changes to the old terms & conditions of the actual lease. I can have rabbits on the plot for eating as an example, but can't have more than one structure. I'm about to commit to a 2nd structure that will breech that lease but I'm way behind others.

Question is really how much power does the committee have? Obviously will speak to one of them tomorrow but lead to believe they are kind of autonomous as they do all the repairs & waiting list stuff & we just pay our money to the council & these guys do the work.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, I personally would push the rule bounderies, that's what there are there for.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi - My husband has a favourite saying when dealing with local authorities - "It is better to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission". I agree with OH.

We've recently had a not dissimilar experience with two of our local District Authorities merging their Planning Departments to save money and staff. The result has been fairly calamitous in that the two councils previously operated on different guidelines in some areas so there has been no clarity in how certain guidelines would apply going forward. Your committee could contact the responsible council officers , point out the disparities and suggest that to reduce future disputes, workloads and accommodate existing guidelines, they opt for the most generous options in all regulations.

I suspect the reality is that the operational staff are probably too hard pressed with workloads, especially if council staff have been reduced, to leave their desks and go and inspect the sites for which they are responsible. If you are contemplating a second structure for your rabbits, could you not link them together with some strips of wood so that it still counts as one structure?
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Westi
We have a one structure rule but lots of plots have more than one, also every time a plot gets halved each half may (I assume) have a shed.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

That's a good idea. Split your plot into two, take out the other half in the name of A.N. Other and erect your other structure. More than one way of skinning a cat !
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Can't you add the new one onto the existing one and say they are semi detached?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Gave my net tunnel to the neighbour who is on the committee. In the chat it was revealed that apparently the new guys have already declared their lack of interest & happy for the committee to continue as they wish. First thing committee did was chop down this big conifer growing in front of our disabled plots that was blocking sun & cracking the concrete paths that current council said no to. Also as she is on the committee I have technically discussed the new poly tunnel as showed her the pic - first response was smaller than the one in Row 2 & much nicer & no issues raised. In fact she named it the Church tunnel because of it's shape!

It is one week today that the guys will be down from up North to build me this beauty & weather is looking good for them to have it up & be out by end of day. You guys are not going to be so lucky as I haven't a clue about Poly Tunnel growing except for ventilation needed so why doors back & front & vents in the roof! I'm on a learning curve but know my toms will be happy & most salad crops, but rotation & stuff is an enigma!

3_x_6m_Papa_Westray_17302.jpeg
3_x_6m_Papa_Westray_17302.jpeg (75.97 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Hi westi ,the top half of the doors have mesh in them one each end so I get a good bit of ventilation in winter I cover the mesh with plastic ,in summer I leave the door open day and night I could fit a mesh door but not got round to it yet
Stephen
KG Regular

Jealous
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Robo! Have you got one? Are they as good as they seem?

On the video they have, it does have the netting on the top so you can leave it open for extra ventilation, but this looks like a full door in this pic & not a stable door arrangement. If I find that is not enough I shall try to make a roll up net thing & hang it on the frame on the inside so the whole door can be open. I'm not sure if the vents are netted but I'm sure I can find a solution to that as well. The only time that will be a real concern is if any brassicas in there otherwise the pollinators need to get in for the plants. It's not really a problem though as they would only be there in the winter anyway & cabbage whites wont be around.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

No mine is the traditional type with a door at each end ,but one door is tight on the boundary so I've screwed it up so it can't open
Westi
KG Regular

I had a brill day - the Keder is up & waiting for me to personalise the space. Well impressed with the product & the guys that put it up were very professional & offered hints & tips re: moving it if I want, training the plants using the frame, extending & generally everything. It was drizzle as well so limited people down there but they were also very tolerant with the visitors who were down dropping in & asking questions.

I'm one happy bunny & although it adds to the price considerably I was glad I asked them to erect it. I am a 'No More Nails' type of girl, but actually the video on U Tube shows how it is done exactly for anyone with basic skills - read anyone but Westi!
fullsizeoutput_81d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_81d.jpeg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 4357 times
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

I wish you every success with it Westi.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Westi, so pleased you now have the Keder up....very smart and I hope you spend many happy hours in there.

Did you get that special feeling, when you first went in there?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

looks fabulous! I'm a teensy bit green, I have to say! We had to give up our allotment at the beginning of the year, and I'm still staring at a patch of concrete at the bottom of my garden that will become my veg patch :)
Wishing you many happy hours of pottering Westi !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic