Early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

I think it may well be time to get the early spuds in and cover them with a fleece tunnel.
I'm determined that this year, I just start lifting them "on schedule" as it were. Too often the undergardener and I have found ourselves with too many new potatoes (but probably not quite "new" enough), when we are ready to lift the main crop.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Blooming heck Peter.....and there's me grumbling about a few plants not arriving... :) and no, they are still not here yet... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Plants finally arrived yesterday lunchtime, just before my Hostipal appointment, so left them yesterday and getting stuck into them today.... :) very pleased with the size and the health of them.

Geoff
KG Regular

Are those bedding plug plants? I got mine a couple of weeks ago from Bellshill Garden Centre on eBay (aka David Clyde) and am well pleased with them. They are growing more slowly than I would like, but I think that is down to the poor light, I had hoped to double up the surfinias and bidens by taking cuttings. By the the way if you have leggy bidens from plugs or seeds just pinch them out and put them in some compost they root very easily.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Geoff, they are bedding and perrenial plugs....I buy them in trays of mostly 84, the only problem with that is, they only come in one colour/variety, so have to plan what customers want what colour each year....They are some excellent plants though.

Primrose
KG Regular

Robo, sometimes it's the routine jobs that keep us going at difficult times and just having something to focus on,
Even if you don't much feel like doing them. Trying to keep some sort of activity going helps to make life feel a little like normal, even when it isn't. Our thoughts are with you both.
jeff64
KG Regular

tried something different this year, put some first early spuds in tubs and put them in the polytunnel about 3 weeks ago they are all about an inch and a half high so well chuffed,also radish spring onions sorrel and 2 different lettuce doing very well.
peter
KG Regular

Regarding Brexit thread.

This is a gardening forum, politics and especially Brexit are best discussed elsewhere.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

peter wrote:Regarding Brexit thread.

This is a gardening forum, politics and especially Brexit are best discussed elsewhere.

Hear Hear.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Got a green house full of seedlings, a plot ready for planting and I'm itching to get out there.

Then I consult the plan & see weather forecast of frost next week telling me it too early, have patience.

Guess it into the green house for more seed planting, potting on & hope I can find a place for them all.
alan refail
KG Regular

Frosty start this morning, but clear blue sky now and the same forecast for the days to come well into April. I think spring has arrived here now.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

Still some chilly nights forecast here but I am going to plant all my potatoes today or tomorrow.

Capture_240319.JPG
Capture_240319.JPG (37.36 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm still potting up plants in the greenhouse.....really warm in there already! :)

robo
KG Regular

No cold nights forecast for us ,I planted 6 greyhound cabbages out on Thursday every one has been destroyed by wood pigeons
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We have a lot of wood pidgeons here too, Robo.....we have to cover virtually everything, a real nusiance!!!

Locked Previous topicNext topic