Allotment garden shed and an accident

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

In January we lost our felt off the allotment garden shed. My OH sheeted it and was waiting for a good day to cover it in new felt. Five weeks ago my OH decided to go and roof it, I offered to hold the ladder but "no I wasn't needed" a short time later he fell of the roof. Frightened the living daylights out of me. He has dislocated his left index finger and chipped a bone. Five weeks later I have not been able to get into the shed and am completely behind with my seed sowing. But my OH is still alive, which on the day he fell I had horrible visions of him hitting his head on the edge of the flags and being disabled or worse dead. In future, accept help, or else!!!
robo
KG Regular

You should always have someone footing the bottom of the ladder no matter how high you are working it's not girlish just common sense , I worked on ladders for a big chunk of my working life I've seen more accidents than enough
Catherine
KG Regular

Robo I know, but some people think they know better, my OH wanted me to get on with my sowing of seeds so wouldn't accept my help and this is the outcome. He is very upset at what has happened, particularly as it has hit his business as he works for himself!!
Stephen
KG Regular

How high is the shed? I'm sorry he has hurt himself but I don't think I would injure myself falling off my shed.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Catherine, I'm sorry for this disruption in your life but I'm afraid it's a common fault in some individuals who think they are accident proof. I have a friend whose husband fell off a roof trying to brush snow off his solar panels because the sun came out and he was anxious not to miss some free electricity!!. He spent months recovering and is lucky not to be dead.

As Robo says, ladders are to be taken seriously. Hopefully your OH will have learned his lesson. These accidents only take a second to occur.
robo
KG Regular

Stephen ,I worked with a guy who fell six feet and broke his spine ,fall from any height and you are liable to damage yourself
Catherine
KG Regular

Stephen, he fell on to flags! I think most people would hurt themselves falling over 6 feet onto flags. Primrose he certainly has learned his lesson the hard way. He thought he was helping me to be able to get on with my seed sowing!
Westi
KG Regular

Sorry to hear this Catherine. You will of course never let him forget this one wee Elf & Safety misdemeanour & neither will he no doubt. Hope he is on the mend soon & your shed roof is soon mended.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

All the best to your OH, Catherine! I am sure you will catch up with your gardening jobs, the recent weather will have delayed everybody else as well, no doubt.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks Westie, of course I will never let him forget it! but he also regrets what he did immensely. It is now giving him problems doing his job as he is self employed. I wish this weather would settle down as we cant do the roof till it is less windy and dry.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks Monika. Hope you are well.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, when things go wrong, it happens in a flash....we all make mistakes and I probably make more than most people.... :)

Hope you are keeping well!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Catherine
KG Regular

Old herbaceous unfortunately things are still not going too well with my health, thank you for asking. But keep plodding on. The allotment just keeps me going.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sorry to read that, Catherine, as long as you are keeping as positive as you can and enjoying your allotment, hopefully tat will keep you going when things are tough.x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic