Where Did My Water Go?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Went to plot for stock up on veg for tea, thought I would see how full my water butts were, as we have had a bit? of rain of late.

Took lid off shock/horror it only had couple of inches of water with level at least 2 inches below tap outlet.

Tilted butt to see if tap was on or leaking, not on/no leaks.
Geoff
KG Regular

You always have to take note of the elephant in the room.
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:You always have to take note of the elephant in the room.

Too true!

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Funny you say that Colin, my butt is full to just over the tap. It is not fed off any guttering but free standing in the middle of the plot so don't have to lug the cans so far fro the one by the shed, but we have had loads of rain as well. Recently moved it as thought it was leaking in it's previous spot but when cleaned & moved nothing found.

In my case I feel it is not capturing the rain fall as the diameter of the lid wouldn't catch a lot (but been loads of heavy showers) so have in mind some wider funnel shape thing to sit in the gap, (Thinking an incinerator lid).
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I have three x 56 litre all interlinked with 25 mms pipe the down spout from my shed and lean too go into one barrel which then fill the other two ,at the moment all three are overflowing
Primrose
KG Regular

Has anybody near your plot suddenly acquired a new water but or tank and been helping themselves to your water in your absence? Not all plot holders are squeaky clean, if you don,t have a tiny invisible split somewhere I can,t think how else so much water would suddenly disappear. Pit you can,t out some harmless dye in the bottom of the butt. At least anybody oinching water then might risk being discovered if they try to use is.
robo
KG Regular

Why not put a dye in the water on the lines primrose suggests you could use a tomato feed that turns water red
Colin2016
KG Regular

If it's the elephant I want its poo...Do not think it's a human issue more likely to be knackered butt.

There are 3 in series so will move them around.

Been boasting that all this rain will fill my barrels up.

There is a ditch behind my plot so thinking of using the bilge pump to fill them up.
Primrose
KG Regular

It you had the same amount of heavy rain rain we had here in the night you should have noticed a slight difference but of course even an almost invisible leak will allow it to seek away gradually over days. Is there any kind of spray or coating which plumbers can spray or paint on surfaces which react with water in a harmless way to disclose where a miniscule leak might be?

It's frustrating though when a hot dry season ahead is being forecast as likely and we'll need all the water we can get.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I would say it has a split in it somewhere, Colin.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Checked today after nights worth of rain and its quarter full so transferred it into number 2 butt.

Think you are right oldherbaceous.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sometimes I would rather be wrong, Colin, as I suppose it will mean more expense and work!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Not a major issue as I have 2 other 200 litre butts plus a 1100 litre tank in metal frame plus always on the look out for any looking for a good home.

I am more annoyed at loosing all that water
robo
KG Regular

No shortage off h2o here it's not stopped raining for more than fifteen minutes all day mixed with sleet and hail
Westi
KG Regular

Not looking good for the next couple of days, my phone weather is saying gusts & hail tomorrow down here - I hope not too gusty as butt is pretty empty, but you guys & girls further north get the fleece out & as many bricks you can find to keep it down!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic