Early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Went into the greenhouse this morning and noticed the Beetroot in the cell trays are popping up....also the Broad Beans in pots are showing movement.....so thought the new bits and bobs should be started.

Please don't get on to me, if the weather turns awfull at the end of March.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

I think you're our unofficial weather forecaster OH. However I think your timing is about right as my tiny pond displayed two batches of frogspawn yesterday. No sign of any frogs though. They just appear to have done the deed and departed. That means the local heron will be on its early morning prowl again !
robo
KG Regular

Been in the pollytunnel this morning everything I've planted is doing ok ,sweet corn ,Leeks ,sweet Pease, and a number of different trays of flowers all showing through
Monika
KG Regular

Well, OH, the MetOffice considers 1 March the beginning of spring, so you are in good company.

Lots of signs of spring here: masses of developing frogspawn, the frogs themselves (we had about 12 in our small pond) are now leaving. Snowdrops, crocuses and hazel lambs' tails are over but the wild primroses, of which we have many, are a lovely sight as well as most of the daffodils, even pulmonaria are flowering. The blackbirds and robins are collecting nesting material. the house sparrows are actually nesting, the tits are inspecting boxes and mistle and song thrushes, chaffinches and great tits are singing.

If it doesn't get too cold this week, the heater will be switched in the greenhouse.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I am not falling for it...Last Wednesday (winter) was working in t-shirt and over 30 in green house, Today (spring) all wrapped up and edging to 16 in green house.

I think I will wait till official spring latter in the month (21st).
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That wind has a bit of a bite to it.....I had to roll my sleeves down.. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

After that lovely sunshine, it feels really cold at the moment.
I'm sure I ought to be outside working up a sweat!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Hard frost this morning and 3 degrees as we drove back from the doctors, sat by the fire with my feet up, the Leeks are sprouting nicely in the propagator so some gardening is occurring(sort of).
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

Got a few weeks of peace and quiet, wife and daughter are abroad in the antipodes.
Saturday was airport delivery day followed by a heaving rugby club where the 1st's stuffed Cambridge 24-6.
Sunday allotment Shop, dog walking and chores.
Monday a fifteen mile walk and got caught by a stupendously cold and windy half hour shower.
Today tidied up the greenhouse ready for seed sowing and dug the border over, incorporating used potting compost, pelleted chicken manure and some growmore. Also tidied the end of the garden path and relocated the stuff that had been dumped in the greenhouse while shed building last year, some to the refuse bin, some to be a bonfire and some to the allotment shed. Messy business shed building.

Hoping the allotment might be dry enough to do some more digging tomorrow. :? :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Fine morning so I managed to dig what will be the spud bed, complete with annual bindweed root removal - blissful! No damage from the wind but I did have to retrieve a few pots & bits from around the plot. It would appear mice or birds have had everyone of my peas & broad beans, nil to be found in the soil so not a germination problem. Got a back up at home but will try direct again as well but will cover with mesh rather than netting. Still harvesting loads & finding the 2nd lot of tiny leaves around the kale stems really tender & tasty which will bulk out the winter salads perfectly. I even got home before it started to rain again - perfect day!
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Started to clear out my dung heap. Noticed last years tea-bags are still in prime condition. made me wonder what the bags are made of. :?
peter
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Started to clear out my dung heap. Noticed last years tea-bags are still in prime condition. made me wonder what the bags are made of. :?

Plastic mesh.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

alan refail
KG Regular

peter wrote:
Shallot Man wrote:Started to clear out my dung heap. Noticed last years tea-bags are still in prime condition. made me wonder what the bags are made of. :?

Plastic mesh.

My son and grandson are teaoholics and get through loads of PG Tips. I've never found any sign of the bags in the finished compost. What are they made of? Paper!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

peter wrote:.....Hoping the allotment might be dry enough to do some more digging tomorrow. :? :wink:

Overnight rain! :roll:

Colin2016
KG Regular

I contacted Yorkshire tea after hearing of plastic in teabags at a composting lecture couple years back.

They replied that they use plastic to seal them but are working to use a different method in future, not sure of current situation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic