roof moss

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

JohnN
KG Regular

My bungalow roof is infested with moss, bits of which are continually getting washed down and blocking the gutters. I have a tub of ferrous sulphate moss killer and am considering spraying the roof with a solution of this (4oz per gallon?). I appreciate that the dead (hopefully!) moss will also fill the gutters, but can be removed in one fell swoop. Any views and advice, please, on whether this will work and any possible problems?
Shallot Man
KG Regular

If this fails, try Jeyes Fluid. Though now not as strong as years ago.
Geoff
KG Regular

If you can clear it I seem to remember a copper strip on the ridge being suggested, a quick search yielded this http://www.copperridges.com/?gclid=EAIa ... gKFyvD_BwE which seems a bit extreme. Research might turn up something simpler. I wonder if they have to earthed?
Primrose
KG Regular

I sympathise. We have a similar problem but in our case a constant stream of birds hopping around on our roof seem to dislodge much of it. I,m not sure how effective any sprays would be as I imagine the next heavy rainfall, together with angle and force of water running off down the slates would quickly wash away the effects of any moss killing solution.

There are companies who will come and de-moss your roof but i imagine they are expensive. Some houses round our way have been done and the effects look good but I've no idea whether they treat the roof with any anti moss treatment afterwards. You could always ring up as part of a general enquiry and see if.they will part with any of their trade secrets.
robo
KG Regular

I would think brick acid would clean your roof ,it remover cement from brickwork so it should shift moss but I would be careful how long you leave it on before spraying with water
nemo
KG Regular

if you could put a 4"strip of copper on the ridge tile the rain washes copper over the whole roof eventually I have seen this work takes a while but lasts
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic