Overwintering Stawberry Plants (in Pots)

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

cobdeng
KG Regular

I have a single pot of Strawberry plants - which also have some runners.

What is the best advice for overwintering please as I have read many things about putting the potted plants into a garage; putting the pots into the ground with a few inches above ground; and even removing the plants from the pots and replanting the plants into the ground.

Many thanks
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My pots are plunged into the soil in my greenhouse borders, this is done to insulate the roots from any severs frost, I also put a layer of fleece over the tops as well(these are French strawberries so are a bit more tender, I am also in NE Scotland, it depends where you are in country).
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

My plants stay in the ground in their beds, untouched, over winter and have done so for many years

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I'm with pa snip I've just planted some that were given to me by the next door plot holder ,last year I potted around sixty runners but left them outside they were all ok come spring
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome cobdeng!

I leave mine outside as well, but are direct in the soil. Spent yesterday weeding them & cutting off the runners (for the 2nd time this year) & moving some of the larger runners that snuck out of the main bed to the 2nd bed that I extended. I was amazed how many plants had flowers & fruit on them as well so had to snip them off.

In a pot though they may need more protection, which will be related to the size of the pot & it's composition. If you have some ground to spare pot on the mother plant & cut off the runners & put them in as well, they will likely fruit next year as well to increase your harvest.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Strawberries are pretty hardy plants but if they're in a pot which may be exposed to freezing temperatures i would try and move the pot up against a house wall, preferably a south facing one, where it will receive a little protection until winter is over. I would cut the runners offf now before they get badly frosted and plant them either in small pots which are also stored in a sheltered position although these may freeze if exposed to frosts. The other alternative is actually to plant them direct in the soil close together in a sheltered birder somewhere in the garden over winter and then put them up next spring if you want to grow another potmof them.

Remember that strawberry plants are really only viable for producing maximum yields for about 3 years and then they decline so it's sensible to keep a small stream of new plants ongoing to maintain good crops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic