New potatoes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

Dug up my first new potatoes at the weekend. They were the size of hen's eggs and were delicious! Vales Emerald was the variety; not one I had grown before. The remarkable things was that they were planted on March 21 and took about 11 weeks to get to a size where they were worth harvesting. I grew them in a raised bed made up of roofing tiles; I reckon this kept the bed really warm, but the wet weather has helped a lot.
How is everybody else doing?
I am based in NW Kent by the way.
Angi
KG Regular

Hi Barry. No spuds yet, but I dug up half of my garlic this weekend! They were HUGE!! Also had lots of globe artichokes, carrots, lettuce, strawberries, 5 mangetout :lol:
Bal
KG Regular

HI Angi
What variety of garlic did you plant?
I also dug my garlic this week but they were small.
Bal
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Harvesting Mimi and Foremost first earlies for a couple of weeks now. Foremost have done very well but mimi beat them for taste so far.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Angi
KG Regular

Bal, sorry I don't know the name of the garlic. I bought it at the allotment shop as 'garlic'.
bigpepperplant
KG Regular

I've had quite a few new potatoes now, planted in mid March. The Red Duke of Yorks are buttery, sweet and floury all at the same time. Really gorgeous. Noisette waxier and so far no great shakes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic