Glorious Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Always fancied trying my hand at a bit of fly fishing, never got round to it though.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

Well, May is over and the total rainfall we have had is 17.2mm, just over half an inch! And another scorcher expected today. So this morning, it'll be another two hours spent watering the allotment ......
retropants
KG Regular

rescued our second stag beetle this month last night, outside the cinema doors, just sitting there waiting to be squished :( luckily there were some shrubs nearby, so we relocated him.
jeff64
KG Regular

retropants, next time you rescue any relocate them in sth. yorks i have never seen one up here.
retropants
KG Regular

jeff64 wrote:retropants, next time you rescue any relocate them in sth. yorks i have never seen one up here.

bit of a trek!
Geoff
KG Regular

I managed a bit more rain than you Monika in May, 27.7mm but 8.0mm was on the 2nd so dry for the rest. I thought today's predicted showers were going to keep going round us despite keep hearing the thunder so I set the sprinkler going, worked a treat just had 5mm in almost no time.
While we are on weather, since I've installed solar panels I've used those as a measure of sunshine (or light at least) and they confirm a sunny May; 2015 713 kWh, 2016 798, 2017 794, 2018 851.
Monika
KG Regular

Lucky Geoff, it drizzled here half an hour ago for a very short time, then stopped. One of our offspring in Clapham, North Yorkshire, had a thunderstorm and heavy downpour and another offspring in Lothersdale, not that far from us, had a heavy downpour, but nobbut a trickle here ........
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

After watching tonight's Gardener's World I've been out to see if any apricots had set on my small tree. It had a few flowers before some more frosts but there's no sign of fruit. At least it looks healthier than his trees.

The olive trees I've got in pots in the greenhouse are in full flower at the moment so I won't be following his pruning advice. They are wind pollinated so I will put them outside if I can manage to move them this weekend.

I enjoyed the mix of items they covered and the Viburnum in my garden looks a much nicer shape than his as it's grown an extra layer this year. It is a beautiful shrub and its good that he highlighted it.
Geoff
KG Regular

Viburnum in my garden looks a much nicer shape than his

We always say if he recommends it we must pull it out but not with this, like many flowering trees and shrubs it is great this year, might take a photo or get it in the background for the Alliums.

As for his potatoes, I'd be ashamed.
Monika
KG Regular

We have commented about the wealth of blossom this year (presumably, the colder winter temperatures ripened the wood and caused more blossom?), especially the bird cherries, hawthorns, both white and red and the rowans. And on the ground, our garden is a sea of colour at the moment. Just looking out of the window, I can see lupins, red campion, white and blue camassia, oriental poppies, yellow and orange Welsh poppies, blue and white geraniums, dark purple scabious, purple alliums, oxeye daisy, red valerian and, alas, quite a few daisies and creeping buttercups on the lawn .....
Still no rain, though!
robo
KG Regular

We have had a yellow rain warning for yesterday and today ,they are a waste of time we have had next to no rain apart from a light shower
Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote:We have had a yellow rain warning for yesterday and today ,they are a waste of time we have had next to no rain apart from a light shower

But was it yellow ??

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Why what other colour of rain is there ,don't forget this is the industrial north
Monika
KG Regular

Why what other colour of rain is there ,don't forget this is the industrial north
Ha, ha!

We DID get some rain today, all 2.5mm of it. At least it has dampened the atmosphere.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

No rain for weeks here, had to fill the water butts with the hose again.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic