Glorious Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

robo wrote:We have now got one tap between 33 plots , don't get me wrong this is not a moan about the lack of taps it's the stupidity of a council that feels it's ok to put 30 new plots on and existing 30 plot site when the original plots have one tap for every four plots and the new ones don't have any

Sounds like a good case for the new thirty to be charged less!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

The charges are not that bad to start with ,I paid around £25 for a plot that's around 350 square meters but I do get 50% reduction for being a pensioner ,there is a few on our site who want to go self managed ,the committee would collect the rents and pay a small amount to the council but we would have to pay the water rates which would cost more than we pay at present then we would have full control over who has a plot but it sounds like a lot of hassle
robo
KG Regular

It’s tipical I Waite weeks for a bit of rain which this month never seems to happen but go away for a weekend to sunny wales and it pi$### rains all weekend
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We have had no rain for a while, had to fill up the water butts with the hose pipe
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

Still no rain here and none forecast for at least a week. I think this May is going to be one of the driest months ever. Trees and shrubs are ok because there will still be enough water in the deeper ground from earlier this year but I fear for a lot of the vegetables. Some brassicas have already died and the broccoli is starting to put on tiny heads although the plants are only about a foot high. Our three 50 gallon tubs have been emptied and we are relying on the hosepipe from the dipping pond .....
Westi
KG Regular

Glorious sunny day - 25 degrees on lottie today but a tad too warm & I was a sweaty person with sand stuck to the factor 30!

When I went down the soil was still moist from the overnight thunder storms, but by lunchtime when I was re-sowing the multiple failures I've had it was already dry to over an inch deep. Fortunately the butt was full, but no one had their hoses out either so I had a choice - choose the butt as closer!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I've bitten the bullet today, planted out my remaining climbing French beans, uncovered my outdoor tomatoes and cucumbers and praying I'm not too premature on my optimism.
The soil is warming up nicely but after last night's thunderstorm and today's sunshine I fear all the weeds have grown sic inches overnight. And the drive which I'd virtually cleared of oxlys weed a week ago is now full of the wretched stuff again.
Last edited by peter on Sun May 27, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Odd url codex in text.
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm with Monika with the drought. I've got perennials wilting in a border I weeded earlier in the year when it was saturated then mulched with compost. At least I can water, I suppose the neighbours could get sniffy if they notice, we share a borehole and divide the electricity cost equally as we don't have usage meters. At least hoeing is very effective at the moment.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

We had very heavy rain all afternoon and evening on Friday so everything has had a good drink. It's dried out a lot today but it's given everything a growth spurt and filled all the water butts. Unfortunately the slugs and snails are out in force again.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Peter for editing my previous post. My ipad jammed and wouldn't let me alter the weird predictive text which appeared so I thought I would post, go back in and re-edit it but then couldn't temporarily get back onto the site. People must have thought I'd been over generous with the gin bottle !!

'quite misty and humid here this morning after lots of lightning during the night, so will have another blitz at the weeds today. They make everything look so messy! . It just confounds me how I can appear to dig up every single bulbil of oxalis over a small area and yet it always comes back. Hoeing just seems to make the spread of it worse. Annoying since we had none when we moved into this house as a newbuild many years ago. It's probably been introduced via potted plants from garden centres.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Blazing sunshine and barely any wind an no Harr either, might go fly fishing later.
Geoff
KG Regular

You could catch plenty of flies here. Having coffee watching swifts, swallows and martins feasting.
Westi
KG Regular

Hit 29 today on lottie! Too hot! Did a bit of weeding early on but just threw water over myself & sat under a tree with the dog until we got a sea breeze. Still productive though , but factor 50 & my trusty hat didn't save me from a very rosy face! x
Westi
peter
KG Regular

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Finally planted my potatoes today, five 30' rows, latest ever.

But making the best of failures, I failed to dig a row of Charlotte last year and I may get a few feeds from the sturdy looking row of ready earthed volunteers. :oops: :shock:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I didn't catch any flies but I did manage this rather nice wild Brown Trout, I returned it to live another day.
DSC02426.JPG
DSC02426.JPG (470.33 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic