Harvesting peas

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

David
KG Regular

Hi all

Have peas for the first time and wonder if you can tell me when best to harvest them? Some clearly have peas swelling in em but I was caught out last year with broad beans and harvested some when they looked plump only to find it was mostly padding.

They are hurst greenshaft by the way.

Thanks

David
Chez
KG Regular

Hello David - we grow HG too and after getting too impatient and find more air in the pod than we expected, we now press both sides of the pod to see how much give there is. They should have no 'give', feel hard and the top side of each pod (above the line of peas) should no longer be flat, as the air will be displaced by peas. If you run your fingers along the pod, it should still feel fairly smooth too. We find if the surface is bumpy from peas pushing out the pod, they are over their peak. Having said all of that, the above is how we do it according to the stage we like the peas at. You may have different preferences. But you will get know the right stage for you as the harvesting continues.

We've only just got our later sowings coming up after the mice had the first five rows. Oh to be harvesting! Still, the guttering has worked extremely well, with great germination. Nice to know we will get some after all. :D
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
David
KG Regular

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them and be ready to dive in.

I guess there will always be some at the different stages of development and to get a worthwhile bowl full some will be either side of perfect.

D
sprout
KG Regular

It might be easier with mangetout or sugar snap :roll:

Bowlful? No matter how many peas we grow, few make it to the kitchen - they make such lovely refreshing mouthfuls for the workers :wink: And for visiting kids but who cares, if they're enjoying fresh picked veggies :D
Beryl
KG Regular

I find the easiest way to harvest peas is with a pair of sissors. You are less likely to pull the plant up then.
I grow Hurst green shaft too - mine are only just forming but they will have between 8-11 fat peas per pod soon. Can't wait.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic