Summer raspberries help needed please

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

Hi all, I've not been here for a while, but I'm wondering whether anyone here can help. Every year, my summer raspberries, that have been in now for about 8 or 9 years at the allotment, have fruited later and later. I then end up pruning them later and later, and this year I'm only just pruning them now. I think I must have got the pruning wrong years ago and it's sort of perpetuated the situation.

Any ideas please of what I should do to remedy the situation, other than starting all over again with new canes?
Many thanks for any help you can give me.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

When they do fruit are they fruiting on new growth that has been left unpruned from the previous year. or on growth from the current year

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

Hi Pa Snip - thanks for your reply - to be honest, probably fruiting on both, ie unpruned from previous year, and also on growth from current year. I think I've just got them in such a mess I don't really know what they're doing!
Westi
KG Regular

Mine were established when I got the plot & not cut back for a bit. Next year cut back all the canes that have fruited as soon as they are finished, then the new canes unfruited will maybe be 1/2 & 1/2 to fruit again but same process. The first year will be less fruit unfortunately but enough & bigger. Then you will be more easily able to differentiate new from old stems from then on.
Westi
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

Thanks Westi - I'll try it that way and see if they start doing what they should be doing!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic