5 year crop rotation

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

caravanalan
KG Regular

Hello KG. I'm looking at having 5 smaller sections on my plot as opposed to 3. could you recommend a rotation plan? I grow mainly potatoes/brassica/sweetcorn/onion family/salad crops such as beetroot, carrot, tomato, radish and lettuce.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi & welcome

There is a rotation guide on page 8 of the recently published January 2018 issue of Kitchen Garden magazine.

It's a 4 year plan but I'm sure you can make your own adaptation to suit your plans.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin2016
KG Regular

"There is a rotation guide on page 8 of the recently published January 2018 issue of Kitchen Garden magazine."

Just got mine today as was reading it & making plans, Ere indoors noticed the date & made the comment thats the end of Chrismas then.
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome caravanalan!

From what you like to grow, there are only a few that need strict rotation - brassica's, onions - potatoes & toms mainly get blighted which can live in the soil but strict hygiene can lessen the impact if that happens so your soil can be protected. The salad crops will do their thing wherever if the soil is fertile & they are watered etc. Just hang on in here for the team to answer though, they're the experts and will respond but are busy people so takes a little while to find the time to get on here.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic