Rat release allowed

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

A few years ago a friend asked if we shot another tree rat could he have it to try skinning and eating. We duly obliged and my wife took it round in a supermarket bag (shows it was a while ago) but there was nobody home so she hung in on the door handle. He rang up later and said you should have killed it first! When he opened the bag it was looking at him, the air gun pellet must have only stunned it. We heard it was hard to skin, I assume they finished it off first, but never got a flavour report.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Oh dear Geoff. I imagine they're like rabbit but might be wrong. I've skinned rabbits and found the bucks much tougher to skin than the does so perhaps it was a male. There's probably less meat on a squirrel too. It would be interesting to find out what they taste like.
Geoff
KG Regular

That's another ordinary rat released for use as land fill, visited the bird feeders while I was watching it rain (again).
Johnboy
KG Regular

If you are not prepared to set a baited trap that will kill the rat let things alone. Humane traps for rats to me seems a cop out. As an owner of woodland I do not want your rats I have a big enough problem of my own without you adding to my problems.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

We're not releasing them alive Johnboy, don't worry.
robo
KG Regular

Traps of any description don't always catch what you are after ,with a humane trap you can release animals that you did not intend to catch in my case up to now down the plot that is two cats and three hedgehogs an old fashioned rat trap would certainly killed the hedgehogs
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Robo that's what I was worried about but it's only trapped rats so far thank goodness. Thought about putting bait in it for squirrels but I bet they would just carry on stealing the apples and walnuts.
Johnboy
KG Regular

We only set baited traps in confined areas so it is in places pets would not be allowed. I would urge you all to look up ERADIBAIT on Google and by using their products only rodents suffer death. All other pets and animals are not affected and that includes us humans. Very safe to use.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks for that John boy. It apparently works by causing them to dehydrate as they have a different digestive system. The only problem I can see is eliminating all other food sources when I have hens and bird feeders. Anyway I've drowned the rat caught in the humane trap last night and the cat has one for a snack every few days when he's in hunting mode. He usually leaves me a present of the tail and innards on the doormat so I know he's been busy. I'll definitely try the Eradibait next time I buy some.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Seeing the previous post I visited the eradibait website as suggested.
There appears to only be one size available >>> 3kg bucket.

The general sale of this size pack appears to be in conflict with the information at my local branch of Countrywide farmers/smallholders supplies stores.
They have a notice up by the rat baits both in store and online stating

Approved certification for rodenticide use is required for purchases over 1.5kg

Another thing to add to the list you need a licence for. I used to buy 3kgpacks and am now restricted to the 1.4kg pack of the product I use.

There has also been a change from the product being supplied in lidded buckets as loose bait to it now being supplied in small bait bags. Idea being to place the bait bag in a proper bait station container.

The idea of placing a small bag containing bait rather than loose bothers me as a rat would be quite capable of dragging the bag and entire contents out of the box into the open. I continue to put small doses out regularly in the bait station until it is no longer being taken

https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/st ... -station-2

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Better get some quickly then before they catch up with the legislation. I'll have a look I the local farm supplies shop, although they only seem to stock bait blocks.
robo
KG Regular

I only use bait blocks I wire three or four together then hold the wire down with a steel rod I then cover it with wood to stop the chickens and wild birds getting at it but the rats always find a way to get it , I'm not keen on the bait box's I've had one for over twelve months and hardly any poison gone out of it
jeff64
KG Regular

I think i read it on this forum about putting jeyes fluid down, it dosn,t kill them but apparantly they don,t like it and it keeps them away, just wondered if anyone had tried it.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

jeff64 wrote:I think i read it on this forum about putting jeyes fluid down, it dosn,t kill them but apparantly they don,t like it and it keeps them away, just wondered if anyone had tried it.

Can't say as I have found that the case, but when we do use it it does keep the neighbours away.

robo

Try moving your bait boxes, odds on says they are not quite in the run.
Unless you are using really unappetising bait that is.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Pa snip I found the run ,I have been putting poison down for over two years , I stake it down were they get in to the chicken run cover it in timber to keep the chickens and birds from getting at it , I have spells like I'm having at present were the poison is not touched for up to a month then a new colony move in and it starts again
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic