So what will you be doing over the Bank Holiday weekend?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Steve
KG Editor

Will you be stuck in traffic, at the airport, or enjoying the sunshine on the plot? I'll mostly be making tomato sauce and juicing apples!
tomatoes 2.jpg
tomatoes 2.jpg (258.03 KiB) Viewed 4623 times
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Monika
KG Regular

We'll be popping into Skipton (luckily on foot, so no parking problems) for a quick shop and a longer cup of coffee, weeding on the allotment, planting the first spring bulbs into pots and making lemon curd for our village show next week.

I like all your produce, Steve!!!
Primrose
KG Regular

Nice crop Steve.
Dont have anything planned here yet apart from freezing more beans and making tomato purée. Will be keeping off the roads as much as possible and hopefully enjoying one or two al fresco meals in the garden soaking up some late summer sunshine. And I will do my best to avoid letting my eye settle on some incongruous weeds while enjoying a glass of vino, getting up to pull them out, because one weed ends up becoming two weeds and the next thing I know I'm into another weeding session !
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Delivering to Iceland customers.
Westi
KG Regular

A bit like you Steve I believe!

Lottie toms are ripening & greenhouse ones just keep giving. Apples are ready & Mr Westi has a note to bring down his work ladder to reach them. Won't be juicing them but stocking the freezer with pies & crumbles. I save the Red Love's for juicing as love the pink colour & they aren't quite ready yet so reprieve there!

IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 4603 times

Greenhouse
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 4603 times

Lottie

As usual apologies if they are upside down!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Challenge cup final on Saturday afternoon ill just have time to feed the chickens and pick a bit of veg for tea ,Our allotment open day on Sunday then fishing on monday
Primrose
KG Regular

Isn't it lovely to see all these Harvest Festival type photos and the results of everybodys' hard labour. Very satisfying!
What variety is the big "fat lady's creased bottom" variety? Is it Giantomo? I grew this variety last year and only had two fruits on the plant!
robo
KG Regular

I'm growing one very similar I think it's florentino
Geoff
KG Regular

Like the produce pictures.
We have family coming so it is likely to be a weekend of booze and board games though they are bringing a 6 month old Labrador dog that has yet to meet our 20 month bitch so that could be interesting.
Won't be doing much else, one knee has decided to go on strike.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Mostly garden related pleasures for me.....I spent ages filling the competition marrow with concrete, to make it weigh more...then read it's length and circumference they are after.... :) only joking... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Having cooked down the latest batch of tomatoes, I,m now looking at the huge colander of French beans I,be just picked and am thinking where the heck am I going to store these?

I think a drastic reassessment how how much I grow and what's stored in the freezer will need to be on my "to do" list as some future point.
peter
KG Regular

Just watched the 2nd XV and 1st XV play their last pre season warm up matches at 13:00 & 15:00 respectively. Walked there and back, consumed a few large G n Ts and now off for a bath. :D
Allotment tomorrow. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Harvest festival here too. The basket fulls of Early Worcester apples are perfuming the house and I've a mountain of tomatoes to process. Then there are the beans.

Like you Primrose I'm taking stock of what fruit and veg we like best and how many I need to grow. I've got a page in my gardening diary set aside with do's and don't for next year and the main entry is Grow Less of everything and plant more flowers. At least my hens enjoy the spares and left overs.

As for the bank holiday were gardening and walking if the weather stays fine and I might paint the hut. I feel a chain sawing session coming on too but will try to refrain while the neighbours are at home - don't want to be anti social.
Primrose
KG Regular

I need to have another tomato processing session today after yesterday's session. Annoyingly one or two of almost ripe tomatoes I picked when I pulled out my blighted plants a week ago have started to show signs of blight so I need to process the rest before they follow suite. Annoying because I was hoping to keep some of the larger ones for some nice Mediterranean type tomato salads but better to use them in another way than just have to destroy them.

Looks like we're in for some nice sunshine today again I feel we need to soak these days up while they last. I did some general pruning and tidying up in the garden yesterday, pulling finished climbers off trellises. . It will mean less to do in the autumn.
And some lovely windfall cooking pears foraged from a tree on our village green will be mixed and cooked with some free apples, raspberries and blackberries and turned into an autumn fruit compote of some kind.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Yesterday planted flowers and moving others around in front/back garden. Had new hoe delivered osculating type seems a great tool ere indoors likes it.

Putting up staging & shelves in greenhouse which I have a feeling will be a challenge. Then if time refill raised bed which I emptied to allow for the greenhouse but was the wrong place.

Monday on Coast Watch duty in afternoon keeping an eye on the north sea & beech for anything untoward should happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic