Mid Summer Bits and Bobs - 2017.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Onions may need to go in greenhouse ti dry, pallets on the ground are keeping them off the wet soil, but the rain keeps returning. :evil:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

peter wrote:Onions may need to go in greenhouse ti dry, pallets on the ground are keeping them off the wet soil, but the rain keeps returning. :evil:

I always think its rather optimistic advice to lay them out on the open ground to dry, given our unpredictable British summers. OK for the Mediterranean countries but not here. Haven,t grown any this year but normally lay them on trays on the patio where I can move them under cover quickly. Being retired its easier to be able to respond more quickly to a sudden change in weather conditions.
Monika
KG Regular

We put our shallots and garlic (we rarely grow onions) onto the greenhouse staging to dry off properly, then tidy them up by cutting off the roots, the withered top growth and peel off any dirty skins. They are then stored on wire racks (actually circular riddles) in the cool but mainly frostfree garage in a tower, supported on three bricks, so that the air can freely circulate. That way, we rarely have to buy any shallots or garlic because they keep well until the new ones are ready.

I find shallots Ambition grown from seed and all the soft-neck garlics are the best keepers.
Primrose
KG Regular

Just had another blight warning Rather like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but glad i took up my plants on Saturday. If the previous warning didn,t finish them off this one might have done. My rescued tomatoes are still unblemished indoors and at,m takding the view it will be less work for me to do clearing up later in the season.

By the way does anybody know if aI am risking blight infection If I put trays of half ripened tomatoes outdoors on a patio table to continue ripening? Is it only when they're on the plant and absorbing infection via the stem that the disease gets transmitted to the fruit?
Geoff
KG Regular

Anybody an expert on shooting and sporting rights and regulations? If you say you are I'll pm my problem to you if that is OK.
Westi
KG Regular

Got one too Primrose! This new system sends out more warnings but it even seems more scary than the previous warnings.

Can't answer your question though, but I think fruit should ripen if not infected. If it succumbs then put it down to the blight! Don't think it would spread if you ripened it on the patio away from other susceptible crops if off the plant, surely that must slow down the spread??
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Geoff I have an old acquaintance that is in to shooting I don't see him these days but he is on Facebook I could ask him for you
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

You are not plagued by pheasants, are you, Geoff? We are seriously thinking of giving up the allotment because of the pheasant problem this year. Even the sturdy netting tunnels we use over rows of seedlings are being pushed down by these winged thugs. They really are more difficult to keep out than rabbits or pigeons.
We have made very tentative enquiries about shooting the devils but one of the allotment neighbours who has a gun licence doesn't think it is on because the allotment area is, in fact, on lease from the Duke of Devonshire's Bolton Abbey estate. And the birds are, presumably, escapees from the shooting estate.
Westi
KG Regular

Invite the Duke's friends around for some target practice maybe Monika? They are his pheasants & it would be a community service? Yes you might loose a day at the plot for their fun but could solve the problem? Talk to the committee maybe?
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Not pheasants just the halfwits who think shooting them is sport.
Johnboy
KG Regular

I do have an estate behind my place and we get plenty of Pheasants that take over on my place in the belt of Maize that I grow for them.
Occasionally we do get a few in the the veg plot and as Monika says they can be thugs. As a matter of priciple I neither shoot or eat Pheasants as if you study that magnificent bird how in your right mind could you shoot one. When they stray on my land the game keepers no longer send dogs onto my patch because I shot one of their dogs about 10 years ago after warning them that I would do so if they send them uninvited on my patch. Needless to say I didn't kill the dog and I paid for the vets bill for it's recovery.
I think Monika you might try informing the Duke via his office that he has a resposibility to his tennants and that the Pheasants are being a nuisance and then if he takes no action against you inform the media and they may pick it up.
I have been dealing with several nobility in the last year or so and they will try to pull rank but I find that when they find that that tack doesn't work they become almost human!
JB.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I had asked Geoff to send me details privately and I have, as promised, had a word with people on the shoot Mrs Snip takes our dogs on during the season.
They advised seeking professional legal advice since barrack room amateur knowledge of the law in the matter could not only be even more costly, it could also be divisive.

Sorry I can't offer a cheaper, sensible, solution Geoff but I could only ask a halfwit.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
JohnN
KG Regular

Suggest to the Estate management that you shoot the pheasants, sell them to the local butcher and give the money to the Duke's favourite charity?
Primrose
KG Regular

We have the occasional pheasant visit our garden. A few years ago I had the privilege of hand feeding one for several weeks who was effectively starving because his beak had grow long and curled under which prevented him from being able to pick up any food normally. I put grain in a small deep bowl which I held up to him and by managing to scoop it up the sides of the bowl he was able to catch some and feed himself. During this time he became completely tame and I loved him. Then something strange happened. One day he appeared and the bottom deformed part of his beak had snapped off so he could forage normally again. From that day he reverted to his wild nature and although he would come close, he would never allow me to hand feed him again.

So like Johnboy for this sentimental reason I don't think I could ever shoot one although it must be really annoying to have your crops ruined.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic