Godwin's Multi Purpose Compost

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Daveswife
KG Regular

As a rule we grow all our bedding and vegetable plants from seed. However, time rushes by rather too quickly now that we are both retired and we missed the chance of sowing kale. So I ordered two varieties of plants on line, plus two varieties of cabbage which I plan to grow in the greenhouse soil during the winter, thus avoiding planting non club-root resistant plants into the main vegetable garden. The kale will go into the main veg area.

What appeared to be healthy Kale Nero di Toscana plants were received in the post 14th July, well packed, nice and moist around the roots, potted on within an hour of receipt using compost from a new bag of Godwin's Multi Purpose Compost. There was nothing feeble about the plants and they appeared to have been hardened off. That was 3 weeks ago and whilst there are a few roots appearing through the drainage holes in the pots, the plants themselves have not grown at all. They have been regularly watered, were kept in a cool part of the greenhouse for a few days before going to a "nursery" area outdoors.

In other words, these plants have received the same treatment and conditions as all our home-grown seedlings with the only difference being the brand of compost - we have been using Magic Jacks for some time.

This morning I have re-potted the best plants using some well rotted compost from our own bins and hope this will give them a big of encouragement to grow.

I would be interested in your opinion as to whether this lack of growth might be a result of compost quality or reflects the characteristics of Kale Nero di Toscana (are they slow growers) or am I merely being impatient!

I look forward to receiving comments!
Angie
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi

I know nothing of Godwins, never used it. Have used magic jack until it outpriced itself locally.

Given that your plants arrived in healthy condition on July 14th I think your latter suggestion may be the correct one.
The plants have been disturbed, and now some disturbed again.

Methinks, that like it does with many of us, impatience has taken over and you should sit on your hands for a bit with these ones

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I would be careful using your own compost on young plants it could burn them I would mix it 50/50 with something else
Geoff
KG Regular

If you still fancy potting some on try 50:50 your mcp and soil from where they are finally going with a bit of FBB and a pinch of phosphate and a pinch of lime if you have any. Brassicas are usually happier in slightly heavier composts than mcp.
KG Steve
KG Editor

If the plants are making healthy roots and the leaves are green and not showing any signs of yellowing or other obvious signs of deficiencies, then I'd tend to agree with Pa Snip that you just need to be patient. I'd agree with Robo on the garden compost - it's OK mixed in with other composts such as your Godwins, but I'd be careful about using it on its own. My 'Nero di Toscana' plants tend to grow slowly but steadily at first - much quicker once established.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Daveswife
KG Regular

Many thanks indeed for all these useful comments. The Nero di Toscana have recovered from their state of suspended animation after re-potting, mixing the original Godwin's compost with well rotted stuff from one of our compost bins. Their new growth looks like Nero di Toscana should do! I have used the same 50/50 mix for potting on the latest delivery of plants which, within a week, are looking happy.

Incidentally, we took the remaining two bags of Godwin's back to our local shop - it is the only multi purpose compost that they sell - and they happily gave us our money back. Took that cash to the nearest garden centre and put it towards two bags of Magic Jacks. Stick with what you know works eh.
Angie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic