Dealing with glut of cucumbers

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Emma
KG Regular

So we have a feature in our June issue on what do do with all your cucumbers. We have had similar features before on gluts of beans and courgettes but it is all too easy to have too many cucumbers as well. Anyone got any tips on using a lot of cucumber? Cucumber soup recipe maybe? Cucumber jam? Cucumber wine? Any other non rude ideas for cucumber use?
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

What a lovely predicament! I've never been great with cucumbers, but when I have, wow has the taste been great. Taste is wonderful compared to shops. I have pickled some baby ones - like gherkins. Were ok but I didn't get all the salt off. Definitely a skill. Then I'm afraid just lots of salads ( and maybe added to pimms and the odd g&t!!)

But I would say, if you have loads, give them to friends, family and neighbours - they really are just so good fresh, and a great way of showing non growers what can be achieved in a small space. Kids also love them!

My mum in law makes an awesome cold soup ... but cold soup isn't to everyone's taste. great for catering large numbers as can prepare in advance, so good for the harvest lunch.

Sorry, not much help on new recipes.

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

My work mate has obviously planted to many seeds (10), which I reminded her today, but she is into health juices and says cucumber is the base of most of these so quite happy to get loads of cucumbers as 1/2 to 1 whole cucumber goes into them, with loads of other stuff obviously!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Just trying to remember a stir fry recipe I used to do with cucumber.

I cut the cucumber into 4 inch chunks then sliced them very finely lengthwise and sprinkle with salt to draw some moisture out.
Make a stir fry out of the usual things, chilli, spring onions, mushrooms, prawns, grated root ginger, soy sauce, a pinch of sugar etc.
Clean the salt off the cucumber, blot dry and add to the stir fry until heated through, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve with rice or noodles. I sometimes add a bit of chopped pineapple too.
retropants
KG Regular

i juice a fair few of mine, as I make a cucumber based soap! It takes about 3 large cukes, or near enough to 1kg juice per batch (24 bars) of soap.
Primrose
KG Regular

A simple summer salad of:
Sliced tomatoes,
Chopped diced cucumber (skins left on),
Chunks of feta or mozzarella cheese

Sprinkled with oregano leaves and some oil and vinegar dressing makes a delightful light summer lunch. It has an especially nice texture if you use the mini crunch type small cucumbers.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

First year ever have I have been successful with cucumbers - even giving them away! With still 12 in the fridge, loads on the plant and I side salad every night (yes even with the roast) are there any more ideas?

I'd quite like to pickle some but previous attempt have been rubbish - I never manage to get all of the salt out. This years cucumbers are particularly juicy, so assume salting is a must to keep them crisp.

What a terrible problem to have .......

Pawty
peter
KG Regular

Just got home from the allotment, via the shed to lay the shallots on two big perforated plastic boxes in front of a set of six equipment fans, with a carrier bagful of cucumbers. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

Thinly sliced cucumber thinly sliced onion mix together then cover in vinegar ,great on chips
Westi
KG Regular

Fortunately mine are doing something unusual. They shoot up & produce a mini glut then sulk for a bit before taking off again. I've not missed a big ones hiding in the foliage to explain this, so I expect it is a response to the drop in temperature during the rainy spells.

Only got 1/2 a one left in the fridge so a bit of sunshine would be welcome anytime soon!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I've had three this year up to now nothing big but I don't feed them one every couple of weeks is enough
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic