Mid Summer Bits and Bobs - 2017.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

There is a new prayer in this household "Please Lord, no more cucumbers or redcurrants!" . I,ve picked seven cucumbers today another kilo of redcurrants today and there are still plenty left on my two bushes. And the beans have barely started coming yeti, My two freezers are packed to overflowing. Really must rein back in my growing aspirations next year, If this were a Seige of Leningrad situation every last redcurrant and bean would be carefully preserved in some way but sometimes in an era of plentiful food it's a dilemma knowing what to do with them all, apart from giving them away. The average human being can only eat so much !
Monika
KG Regular

Redcurrants make lovely syrup, to be drunk diluted over the next weeks and months, Primrose! No freezer space needed.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Monika. I,ve already made a couple of pints of redcurrant syrup which are stored in the freezer in plastic milk bottles. i've now realised that with all that sugar in it it doesn,t really need to be frozen . The problem is all my cupboards are full of home made jam or marmalade too. O
Westi
KG Regular

I'm loving this year! Got more successes than failures unlike last year, but like everyone else preparing for the winter famine.

My freezer is full, been researching & preserving stuff but shelf space is also limited! Either I need a bigger house or to be less successful! Going for the first option though - think it's time to change the footprint of the garage (as if I'd ever move)! The car is never in the garage - the garage used to have electricity but it leaks so had that shut off - time to be a more usable (waterproof) space!

Mr Westi may have a wee bit of a problem with that as wants a hobby space - maybe we can compromise? Only said maybe note!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The free sugar snap peas are in full production - three out of the nine seeds germinated and between them have produced 7 pods so far. They do taste delicious and are nice and tender it's just a pity they are so meagre. I might buy a packet next year and see if I get a decent crop they have big tendrils and not many leaves so won't take much room up. Can you remember what the name of the variety is?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Sugar snaps in a pot were disappointing for me, might not bother again, not that impressed to be honest.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

I'm sitting here listening to thunder with lightening flashing every few minutes this will make things grow I can't wait to see the plot tomorrow
Mouse2
KG Regular

Why has one of my water butts chosen this week to spring a leak? I can't even see where it is escaping, though the level of the water (quite low but not as low as the tap) should be big clue! :?
retropants
KG Regular

Mouse2, one of ours collapsed last week, and we'd just filled it !
Geoff
KG Regular

Tesco Finest Piccolo Cherry Tomatoes 220G Save 25p Was £1.50 Now £1.25 (£5.69/kg)

Wow - what a bargain!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Should anyone be growing "Wrobels" runner beans this year. Would be grateful for a few.
Johnboy
KG Regular

New Potatoes in Morrisons in Leominster Herefordshire £2.92 a Kilo yet twenty miles away Harry Tuffins in Knighton Powys best Welsh Pembroke New Potatoes 65p per kilo. I asked the manager in Leominster why such a high price and he wouldn't reply. That's as good as an answer or maybe even better!
JB.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Going on those prices I have a few grands worth of produce in the garden, makes the price of seed seem quite reasonable.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pawty
KG Regular

For the first time this year I dedicated a small area of the plot to flowers for our pollinators. I grew these from seed (zinnia whirlygig mixed) and am amazed at the different colours and petals you get from the same pack. Bees absolutely love them!

Pawty
Attachments
IMG_3674.JPG
IMG_3674.JPG (279.51 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
Westi
KG Regular

Great pic Pawty!

I have flowers pop up all over the plot, starts with the self sown poppies & stuff then my flowers, dahlias & roses etc take over. All for the bees & they do look pretty as a bonus. Today I took up most of the self sown as they are going to seed & I have more than enough without letting more seed and it freed up quite a bit of growing space.

How's your squash & pumpkins doing on your compost pile?
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic